Have cut a branch off at the branch collar, on a Large Sycamore Maple, what's going to happen?

HomeownerWithTrees

Question

As per title, I've cut a large branch (6inch diameter) off a Sycamore Maple at the branch collar. The tree is taller than a terraced house.

I'm now aware I've done pretty much every no-no in the book cutting at spring, further than the collar and a large branch.

I'd like to know what the risks of damage are to the tree and if there's anything I can do to help it heal, and prevent disease or death(?!)

Thanks very much in advance.

7 answers to this question

I would say that you can expect a bit of epicormic  regrowth around the collar,  possibly a bit of epicormic growth at base of tree. Bleeding sap is a possibility at this time of year but as we are at a growth spurt in tree calendar-I would be able to sleep at night over this one. Obviously if the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse turn up-nowt do with me :) k

• Like 1

Sycamores are pretty hardy species which can be pollarded or coppiced and still keep going so I wouldnt worry too much!

Maples can be susceptible to bleeding if pruned in early spring although there doesnt seem to be much evidence that bleeding actually causes any lasting health issues....possibly some visible, unsightly staining under the wound. The size of the cut  you made is irrelavant until we know how big the main trunk is that connected the branch....i.e a  6ich wound on an 8 inch trunk would be more serious that a 6 inch wound on a 24inch trunk. The wound might well attract a bit of decay in the long term but a healthy tree will put on wound wood to compensate for loss of strengh. The best way to aid the tree's "healing" would be a well positioned clean cut the runs parallel with the branch collar which promotes  formation of wound wood around the wound. Keeping the soil under the tree's crown heathy by adding 100mm of mulch, keeping the soil moist during drought periods and making sure the soil doesn't become compacted or eroded will help to maintain a healthy tree. Trying to keep squirrels out of the tree  also helps as they like to strip the upperside of young sycamore branches/stems and gnaw bark of trunk too...this leads to substantial wounding and decay entry which quite often causes branches to snap off.

25 minutes ago, HomeownerWithTrees said:

So when you say make a clean cut - a cut closer to the main trunk of the tree, in a ring following around the branch collar?

Thats it. Follow the lil circle of bark  just out from the trunk. Then go to pub n sink a couple. It'll look fab in the morning. Wee on it if yr not 100% sure as the ammonia will sterilise the wood. Preventing pathogens but possibly getting you arrested for Public Indecency. K

Edited by Khriss
I may be speaking from experience here, yr Honour....