Auxiliary oiler

simonm

37 minutes ago, simonm said:

Auxiliary oiler... When are these necessary? What do they screw into on the end of the bar? 

You have to drill into the bar but best off talk to RobD and check out his videos on youtube.

Having said that you won't need an oiler until you get a bar over 47" that's providing you're using an 880 or similar

Edited by Forest2Furniture

It's about 6" which can be reduced a bit if you take the dogs of the saw.

Most people when they start chainsaw milling for the first time start a bit smaller and work up.

Chainsaw milling is seriously knackering on the back. 

I've got a bar with chains (new and unused) and mill rails that will give me a 5' cut that I bought for a large London Plane that when it came to it I never used as the client had the trunk ringed up for firewood, let me know if you interested.

13 minutes ago, Forest2Furniture said:

It's about 6" which can be reduced a bit if you take the dogs of the saw.

Most people when they start chainsaw milling for the first time start a bit smaller and work up.

Chainsaw milling is seriously knackering on the back. 

I've got a bar with chains (new and unused) and mill rails that will give me a 5' cut that I bought for a large London Plane that when it came to it I never used as the client had the trunk ringed up for firewood, let me know if you interested.

I have ordered a 42" panther mill but are thinking about going a bit bigger as I have a lot of big lumps kicking about. I would like to be able to tackle everything I've got. 

We've been looking at how best to do an aux oiler for the end of the bar for a while - we have them at the moment but they are crude gravity fed tanks...

I think the likely route we'll go down is to offer a double ended bar with a chainsaw on the end [likely a brand we will import that will be cheaper = Chinese! But from a well known established company]. As no point in spending another £600-£700+

An oiler and helper handle with roller will set you back £130+vat - we would have a saw with adapter for £195+vat.

This will then give you oil being pumped into the bar as the chain runs + a helper handle without the vibration + extra power if you need it + weight at the end of the bar to help counteract bar sag.

The only I disadvantage I can see is the weight... You could still operate with one person - you'd just allow the chain from the main powerhead to action the oil pump. Although I expect we'd work a way out to engage the throttle on the far saw through a linkage to it [being that it will be one make we could do something clever that directly pulls the throttle on as only dealing with one type of saw].