Tripod steps or extendable ladder for high hedges

NickinMids

Tripod ladder with all three legs extendable - brilliant.  The only thing you can't do is lean well forward and sideways at the same time - move the ladder three feet sideways!

They're very light in weight too.

Good point about the width and the vehicle they're carried in/on: the feet of my ?11 rung tripod are a snug fit in the buck of my Navara.

I use Zarges 12 rung A frames which yes, are taller than orchard ladders but bloody wobbly and I don’t exactly enjoy the experience .

Ive also recently used my friends orchard ladders which don’t reach as far but boy are they stable and so much lighter. 

The only thing I’ve found though is when trimming large domes you can’t lean in to get the tops like you can on an A frame and of course you don’t have the flexibility of the triple ladder option.

Also, the orchard ladders he has have incredibly ‘sharp’ right angled treads which kill the shins when constantly lent against them.

In a perfect world, I’d have both, if I had to choose , I’d choose the A frames, but for the safest, without doubt the Orchards !!!! 

• Like 1

several methods needed to cover most work

3 leg adjustable tripod - great if garden is sloping - not good for wide  tops, don't get you near enough

extending ladder with approx 4ft by 2ft thin ply bolted on temp, lean against good solid high faces (not griselinia etc :( )

get on top of the hedge, shrubbery (with no regard for your own personal safety)

new method - tell them they need someone with a platform and walk off feeling like a beaten amateur

Edited by tree-fancier123
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1