"That" Nottingham Walnut tree

TIDY

Well.... what can i say, some of you guys may have seen the "Snow flake" brigade on the facebook group "Nesting not netting!" 

It started on Tuesday morning, I was subby grounding for a mate of mine (yes, not even my job) to remove a Rotten Walnut in a tiny back garden.

The neighbor from 2 doors down asked my mate (the hired contractor) what was happening, when he told her it was coming down all hell broke loose, he was polite and told her that it was rotten, had a lean and there were no nests, bats or TPOs on it, she started screaming (and crying) that she will take photos and make it go "Viral" anyway, thinking nothing of it i found out she had posted photos of my van decals (number email website ect ect)  and made me out to be the villain in all this. It didn't go quite viral but we had very rude people ring up demanding we stop what we were doing from as far as Scotland would you believe. Now they were typing "we have just rang the office and told them what for" in reality im self employed, they where actualy ringing and ranting at my Wife, who didnt have a clue what was going on, as far as she knew "we" weren't working that day as i was subbing.....

It got very out of hand, people emailing me and tagging "Tidy Trees" on Twitter with hashtags for local news and newspapers..... FFS! 

Any way, a picture speaks a thousand words, here is that "Beautiful, healthy hundreds year old" Walnut tree that was growing over 3 other gardens (with kids toys and trampolines in all of them) 

1 tree.jpg

image(1).jpg

image(2).jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20190423_151123.jpg

wound.jpg

• Like 4

Absolutely ridiculous. Life would be a lot easier for arboricultural professionals if the public could grasp that trees have a finite life span, and in an urban setting safety comes first. Walnut has sod all natural decay resistance and with is as hollow as it was, I'm surprised it was still standing. 

I wonder how the woman in question would have reacted had it come down in a storm, crushing property or worse, people. Muppet.

• Like 2

Facebook can be a nasty place, full of Facebook mums jumping on whatever they can to get their sad little kicks they need in their life. Always two sides to the story so should always think twice in making posts on social media bad mouthing a business or person as it can have serious consequences even when the business/person has done nothing wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear of your hassle.

Totally undeserved, unmerited and unwarranted, I sympathise with you.

Social media and public reaction to tree work is an absolute disgrace at times and full of ignorant uneducated and ill informed fools.

Sadly stoked by very poorly managed public trees like the Sheffield debacle and privately owned trees like on development sites which are getting netted. 

That can only change by a continued line of education and information to the public as to what’s happening to the trees and why. (Planning notifications etc..)

People like trees and all the good they do us at a conscious and subconsciously level and get upset when what they see those trees disappear from their treescape, often not replaced.

Playing the advocate of the one that should not be named, had the tree had any structural survey before being condemned?

Yes it is significantly decayed, (it appears quite hollow in the stem) oddly enough trees actually go through that process in their lifespan and can remain standing and even leaning like that for many decades.

How were the roots and trunk base?

Your original picture ‘appears’ to show a vascularly healthy tree with full canopy and buds and also strong vital active outer sapwood layer.

Had any consideration been given to reduce the tree to help mitigate the ‘potential’ risk of collapse?

I think I’d be disappointed if I had that tree in a neighbouring garden and it got taken down.

• Like 4