buying a tower scaffold

difflock

I hired an aluminium tower to do a chimney on the house. You climbed up the inside of the tower and lowered trapdoor as you went up. It took me and a lad to build it no problems and cost £50 for the week. If I was buying one I would go for one of those. 

8 hours ago, daveatdave said:

I had the Youngman its the best industrial one going I bought it refurbished from a firm in Bradford for not much more than   Zarges Tubesca 7 are advertising for they are mainly DIY also it did not state the SWL of it has to be 150 kg in my previous life I was a fully qualified scaffolder and came across quite a few different makes but the Youngman was the best and easiest to erect  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142787350479?var=441794738943&ul_noapp=true

similar to this offer presumably?

I have a medium duty aluminium one. Very light, I can move the whole thing around myself, on wheels on level ground, if its only built up to twenty feet or so. It can go up to nine meters I think. Really got to tie in to the wall, as the outriggers are often as not un-deployable due to space restrictions. If possible, I will open a window and fix a small g-clamp to the frame, then tie onto that - or failing that get permission to install expansion bolts with an eye. If you site them under sills and remove the eye and thread after, they're pretty unobtrusive, and then they're there for future maintenance use. Also good for securing ladders.

Mine mostly gets used for house painting, the odd chimney access, second-story gutter cleaning and fixing, shop signs, facia, roof repair, window fixing, etc. Anything that you need two hands for, or two people, and a place to put your tools and materials. For arb related work it doesn't get much use, but is good for tall and deep hedges.

12 hours ago, jfc said:

I have used towers and not a big fan, hard to get level/stable in a garden. I bought a tripod ladder instead, they go up to 3.6m. Great for doing hedges.

They go bigger. I had a 14ft one and whilst yeah it was a good peice of kit. Stowing, storing and transporting was a PITA. 

Also, hanging off the side and 12ft up reaching over with a long handle hedge trimmer is bloody hard work and precarious. Mobile tower for me and if not accessible with one then I decline those jobs now. Bloody hate high hedges anyway. 

8 hours ago, daveatdave said:

yes but I did not pay that sort of price, but they do hold there money if you want to sell it later  

Well since I have not yet found similar at lower money, I may well be obliged to pay that sort of price, unless you can point me in the right direction ? 

mth

9 hours ago, difflock said:

Well since I have not yet found similar at lower money, I may well be obliged to pay that sort of price, unless you can point me in the right direction ? 

mth

I've got a fair bit of painting to do this summer, so I bought an old trailer mounted cherry picker, cost less than that alloy scaffold tower. Admittedly it was off a mate, so you may/may not find a similar machine. And it won't go everywhere a tower would.

But for me it will get a good bit of use :flybye:

• Like 1