IML resi F-series - Yearly calibration?? Is it necessary?

Dilz

I have a IML Resi F-400 with the electronic unit I got for a bargain from a retiring Arborist.  I used it fair bit the first couple of years i owned it but not so much now.  The thing is the yearly calibration costs - quite high with the electronic unit - IM wondering if it's entirely necessary as i don't use it very much and it says on the website that it is advisable, not compulsory to have it configured every year. 

That said a juicy bit of inspection work is looking like its heading my way - I'm wondering about using the Resi as an additional tool for some sonic tomography.  This will be a full written report job for a government agency - Will I be potentially at risk for including the findings of the resistance drilling in the reports using a device that has gone past the date for annual calibration (by a couple of years....). In my own mind yes - I'll be better off sending it off for calibration and service just to make sure I'm covered - but I wish they would have a setting per number of readings made rather than run of an internal clock. 

Slightly different machine and I’m coming from the local authority perspective so don’t pay for the calibration out of my own pocket, but do have to justify the annual cost of calibration to senior management.

The PD series flashes up that it requires calibration after a thousand drills or a callender year, which ever comes first. (Usually the latter for us)

We use the Resi PD400 a fair bit and the graphs do go in to reports for where we are condemning or retaining a tree. Having an in date calibration certificate as an appendix to a report gives the report more weight in my opinion. Also gives us confidence in knowing the motors are being looked at and service where necessary.

I would think from your perspective (as you’ve already alluded to) it will depend on how often you utilise it as a tool.