DISEASE of Pines

hesslemount

I’ve been sent these photos of 10 planted pines (so I’m told) in Barnsley, South Yorkshire. The needles are failing and have been for last three months. Every other tree that’s not of this species is thriving. Any ideas people in this species specific infection/ disease? 

B3AF157E-436B-40E3-A722-96338D5DD0E1.jpeg

B5C15C05-B1C5-4787-A02C-E4907512B8DC.jpeg

8C1225C7-7D20-4517-9DC6-020BB5CDDD80.jpeg

35691407-5BA0-433A-9014-AC9FD97E585B.jpeg

30 minutes ago, hesslemount said:

I’ve been sent these photos of 10 planted pines (so I’m told) in Barnsley, South Yorkshire. The needles are failing and have been for last three months. Every other tree that’s not of this species is thriving. Any ideas people in this species specific infection/ disease? 

B3AF157E-436B-40E3-A722-96338D5DD0E1.jpeg

B5C15C05-B1C5-4787-A02C-E4907512B8DC.jpeg

8C1225C7-7D20-4517-9DC6-020BB5CDDD80.jpeg

35691407-5BA0-433A-9014-AC9FD97E585B.jpeg

They're not pine, look like spruce to me and as it happened over winter my guess is spruce aphid.

• Like 1

looks like a spruce, its either Norway spruce or sitka (sitka have longer needles than Norway) - it could be Dothistroma  needle blight. I know Norway spruce can be affected I don't know about sitka .

There is concern in Scotland about this disease which can attack scots pine.

Current seasonal trends of warmer springs and wetter summers (in Scotland) have optimised the conditions for the disease :(

4 minutes ago, Paul Cleaver said:

looks like a spruce, its either Norway spruce or sitka (sitka have longer needles than Norway) - it could be Dothistroma  needle blight. I know Norway spruce can be affected I don't know about sitka .

There is concern in Scotland about this disease which can attack scots pine.

Current seasonal trends of warmer springs and wetter summers (in Scotland) have optimised the conditions for the disease :(

Dothistroma has been found on spruces, but not to any significant degree as far as I'm aware.  The pictures looks more like Elatobium (spruce aphid) to me, but I'm not totally sure.  Could also be wind blast if there's been a particularly cold east wind?

8 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

They're not pine, look like spruce to me and as it happened over winter my guess is spruce aphid.

Just scrolled up to look at pictures again and saw your post, so yes, I'd agree with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Spruce Pirate said:

Dothistroma has been found on spruces, but not to any significant degree as far as I'm aware.  The pictures looks more like Elatobium (spruce aphid) to me, but I'm not totally sure.  Could also be wind blast if there's been a particularly cold east wind?

Just scrolled up to look at pictures again and saw your post, so yes, I'd agree with that.

thanks for the above SP - what is your view on the following link from 1 month ago which shows concern regarding the Ancient Scots pines in Scotland   https://inews.co.uk/news/scotland/scotlands-ancient-pine-forests-at-risk-disease-climate-warms/

9 minutes ago, Paul Cleaver said:

thanks for the above SP - what is your view on the following link from 1 month ago which shows concern regarding the Ancient Scots pines in Scotland   https://inews.co.uk/news/scotland/scotlands-ancient-pine-forests-at-risk-disease-climate-warms/

I don't think that's really any new news as far as the industry is concerned.  Been found more on native pine largely due to looking for it more rather than any big jump in spread as far as I can see.  It is now so endemic in plantation stuff that its no longer surveyed for by the FC in plantations.

The native pinewoods it could have an effect on, especially in tight canopys and thicket stages.  Stuff we looked at in Tentsmuir Forest a few years ago that was really badly infected and very sparse in needle coverage has recovered very well thanks to intensive thinning to let the air flow through.  Native pinewoods with non-intervention managment policies might suffer quite badly if there are areas of dense canopy.  On the other hand, as I understand it, it's very rarely fatal to trees so they might be able to withstand it.

• Like 1

If they were newly planted, were they watered and did they get settled in? It probably is as is being said aphid or blight but if they are recently planted or planted within the last year, we have had little to no rain down here, how has it been up there in sunny yorkshire?

Just saying, innit....