Non paying customer

forestboy1978

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Is it worth worrying about checkatrade and all that stuff?

Obviously it’s been 15 odd years since I worked in the UK, so things have changed.

But on hotel reviews and all that I never pay a blind bit of notice of really bad reviews.

Probably not once you've got a few shit reviews but when you've got 190 without a single blemish, it does help your business. 

I get people phone me from the U.S to work on their property and they never see the job in person. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, forestboy1978 said:

Probably not once you've got a few shit reviews but when you've got 190 without a single blemish, it does help your business. 

I get people phone me from the U.S to work on their property and they never see the job in person. 

Most sane people would look at one bad review against a lot of positive ones as bad mouthing, especially if you answer plainly and undramatically as to why they are leaving a negative. It would be worth pointing out in your answer that any negative feedback only came after you needed to pursue late payment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, felixthelogchopper said:

Most sane people would look at one bad review against a lot of positive ones as bad mouthing, especially if you answer plainly and undramatically as to why they are leaving a negative. It would be worth pointing out in your answer that any negative feedback only came after you needed to pursue late payment.

Yeah, sure that's what I'll do if it comes to it. But it's still annoying having to pursue quite wealthy people for money knowing that if they get pissed off about it they can slander me. I'll shrug it off of course and reply exactly as you've stated, and show images, but it does annoy me that it's possible. 

• Like 1

There are ways to deal with people like these, some legal, some not, I suppose that depends on what type of person you are dealing with. All scum. Unfortunately,  we have all had a customer like this. It's easy for me to say,(1000 Is a lot of wonga) but don't stress yourself out. He is probably trying it on. Even if he's playing hardball, there's ways of dealing with it.

Interesting that you said he's quite wealthy, isn't that always the way.

Good luck with it. Let us know how you get on, and when it's resolved put his name out

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

If it was a little old grannie pensioner she would have paid you before you started . He is wealthy because he does this . Some he wins some he don't .

Aint that the truth and how often it happens. 

This has happened twice in 10 year now. Both have been wealthy ish. 

1 hour ago, Con said:

There are ways to deal with people like these, some legal, some not, I suppose that depends on what type of person you are dealing with. All scum. Unfortunately,  we have all had a customer like this. It's easy for me to say,(1000 Is a lot of wonga) but don't stress yourself out. He is probably trying it on. Even if he's playing hardball, there's ways of dealing with it.

Interesting that you said he's quite wealthy, isn't that always the way.

Good luck with it. Let us know how you get on, and when it's resolved put his name out

I'm not too stressed. I'm flat out atm so money is flowing nicely but 1k is 1k. 

I will see how this solicitor thing goes with asking for the invoice and court. Be useful to experience the process. 

If not I'll rip the gates off with a crow bar and have my day in court. I know this is illegal but I also know this sort of thing is viewed favourably if evidence is presented. 

• Like 1