Stihl ms 211/ c throttle linkage removal

John Rainford

The pitting is all over the top of the inside of the cylinder, it's like little pin pricks all over the surface. The cylinder walls look fine, no scratches, no scoring. My new baring seals arrived today so I installed them. I couldn't see anything wrong with the old seals on inspection. However, the old ones slipped off the crankshaft with ease. The new ones were a much tighter fit. I did an experiment to see the difference between the old seals and the new ones. I put the old seal back on the clutch side and gave it a little squeeze. Squeezing it created a gap between the seal and it's seating. This didn't happen with the new seal, so I'm thinking the old seal has worn and no longer provides a tight air tight fit. I had an issue with putting the piston back in the cylinder. It didn't want to go in as easy as it came out. I made sure I had it round the right way, with the ring pins facing the carb. In the end I had to smother the cyllinder with 2 stroke oil and eventually it slipped in to place. I also got stuck trying to get the cylinder back in to the saw, until a little research showed me that it's much easier on this saw if you seat the cylinder base with sealant applied, on to the saw and then take the main part of the cylinder to the base. I was a little concerned that the gasket sealant was open to the elements for half an hour before pressing the cylinder parts together, but i'm hoping it's not going to be an issue. I used a sealant which is high temp, fuel and oil resistant. I did make one error, which was that I managed to snap the corner off one of the cylinder fins at it's base when trying to get it back in place on the saw. Next I have to decide between putting everything back together, checking the carb adjustment and firing her up or spending out on a compression/vaccum test. Any thoughts?

Piston is just as soft as the cylinder. So as Spud said if something has gone through the engine you'd expect to see a damaged piston too. So either piston has been replaced or it's a dodgy cylinder from the off. Could be aftermarket  parts,  do you know the saws history? 

Regarding assembly issues - the need to assemble the engine lose and bolt it all up in situe is a truely shite idea. I don't have any respect for Stihl for employing this design. Compound that with making it almost impossible to position the engine in the saw body.... just stupid.  I've done a few now and it's not easy, best way I've found is to have the engine upside down and position the body over it. 

Well, the truth is you're not expected to rebuild these saws.

Personally I'd just run it,  you've changed and/or inspected all the bits that leak.

If it's an old saw expect the carb to be a pain. ...

bmp01

After stripping down my saw, renewing the crank bearing seals, cleaning the carbon from the head of the piston and top of the cylinder, trying a couple of different spark plugs and fuel filters, I still have a saw that will sometimes start, run erratically for a minute, shoot out huge amounts of white smoke from the exhaust and then stall, so I am back to aquare one. I am thinking that the excessive smoking is a clue to what might be going wrong. I looked for a spark arrestor in the muffler, but it doesn't seem to have one. The muffler is the same as the one on the Stihl ms 181which is one complete unit, with nothing to take apart. So, what causes excessive smoking and rough running before conking out. Has anyone any ideas what I should try next. Maybe a carb clean/kit. Could my piston and cylinder be the culprit, despite cleaning the carbon from the piston top and cylinder top.

White smoke is usually associated with water (or coolant) going through the combustion chamber,  not likely with an air cooled  2 stroke unless there is water in the fuel. But I'm guessing you changed the fuel for fresh mix when you did the fuel filter. ... 

I expect your white smoke is down to the 2 stroke oil you used during the rebuild,  it's probably inside the exhaust and needs can good thrash to clean it out. That will have to wait.

Have a look at this thread regarding carb problems :

https://arbtalk.co.uk/forums/topic/111138-ms181-spluttering-and-bogging-down-at-high-revs/

HTH.