Front mount farmi on unimog

Conor Wright

So, I have been running my mog with rear mounted farmi 250 for almost a year now and want to switch it to front mount, I have a reverser fitted to the front pto and have a front linkage, however I would rather keep the whole thing as close to the front as possible.

Does anyone out there have a farmi on the front?

Thinking of getting a plate/frame made up to lift the chipper on and off, also keeping it usable on a standard tractor setup, so no adapting the chipper itself.. would really appreciate any pics/advice on this.

I will hopefully get a crane on the back as a counterbalance to avoid nosediving under braking!

Advice or pics of how people have attached their cranes would be great too.

Finally, before I do all this work, will the farmi blow over the cab for me? It's well able to pack the box as it is but the chute is inches from the box now.. on smaller wood, when hand feeding (I use the digger when possible) I often reduce the revs, I doubt it would have the oomph at 1500, but even when I give it around 2000rpm I'm not sure it will drive conifer tops far enough..

I'm tired of doing multiple runs to jobs and want to be able bring chipper and low loader with digger etc in one go but don't want to spend all my money on a setup that will cause me grief.

No budget for a schliesing, my ideal choice, so, do i make do with what I have, change it to the front or keep putting pennies in the big yellow chipper fund?!20190406_134843.jpeg

Will the digger lift the chipper?
If so get a trailer both will fit on and use the digger to load the chipper.
If you start fitting the chipper on the front then a crane to the rear your going to seriously eat into your carrying capacity before being overloaded.

IMG_0534.thumb.jpg.1600a213661ac706a2943441111bd896.jpg
IMG_0535.thumb.jpg.4d9d081c2efca94fe4433ede13dd98be.jpg

I have a Farmi on the front. I wouldn’t drive far with it there. She sticks out a fair bit. The updated heavy springs make a difference. I use the crane to lift it on and off for long drives.
I’ve never needed to chip in to the box so can’t help there
Yeah, that does stick out a bit far! That's why I'd like to do away with the three pt linkage and mount it closer to the body. Only issue I can see is attaching the PTO shaft.
I chip into the box a good bit but it's small at 5.5 cube, probably max 5 cube in it..
That's a heavy crane, I'm thinking more like a hiab or palfinger 2 ton, more for ton bags of logs and bark mulch than massive butts!

My advice would be don't waste your time messing about trying to adapt a rear mount chipper to fit on the front. You will encounter endless problems.

IME, you would be better getting a Schliesing or Ducker.
Thanks, you're probably right, looking at your setup the chipper is very tidy on the front. Does the crane affect the nose weight of the trailer much? Have thought of fitting the crane to the low loader but I'd rather it on the mog to access tighter places.

Will the digger lift the chipper?
If so get a trailer both will fit on and use the digger to load the chipper.
If you start fitting the chipper on the front then a crane to the rear your going to seriously eat into your carrying capacity before being overloaded.
Barely. It's a bit heavy.. just don't want the hassle of taking it on and off.. I'm getting lazy! Not overly worried about weight to be honest, it's a good excuse to uprate the springs! (Or leave more chip onsite!)
Not thinking of a massive crane either.. something tidy but useful.