B license towing...

Rough Hewn

MAM, Maximum Authorised Mass, some times called GVW, Gross Vehicle Weight, in simple terms the legally allowed maximum weight of the vehicle, the vehicle, load, driver, fuel, every thing basically.

On the VIN plate, (manufactures plate with chassis number and weights on),  the first line of the weights is MAM/GVW

Image result for vin plate land rover

The second line of weights is the GTW, Gross train weight, maximum weight of vehicle + trailer, (some times called GCW gross combination weight, problely other names too)

1 is max weight of front axle, 2 is back axle max weight.

These are the maximum legally allowed weights regardless of driving licence, if your above these you will over weight and could be prosecuted.

On the above vehicle example, with a B licence you could tow a trailer with a maximum plated weight of 1100kgs, 

Vehicle MAM of 2400kg + Trailer of 1100kg = 3500KG 

It is the maximum allowed weight that is used here, for B licence, not the actual weight.

Eg a 2700kg plated plant trailer might weight 800kg empty, totalling (example vehicle 2400kg + 800kg) 3200kg whilst under 3500kg you would be a B+E to tow it as the maximum allowed weight would be 5100kg (2400kg + 2700kg)

If you had a B+E licence you could go up 5900kg, 2400kg vehicle + 3500kg trailer.

Edit, the vehicle MAM should be on the log book as well,

@justme or some one else, may have may some other acronyms to help you 

Edited by Craig.
more
  • Like 3

While there’s some clarity on this can I ask a further question regarding tow weight

I have a B-E license (passed in 87)

My current vehicle Volvo XC70 has a tow weight of 1800kg, would I get into bother towing a trailer plated above that 1800kg even if the trailer was either under loaded or empty?

2 hours ago, wisewood said:

While there’s some clarity on this can I ask a further question regarding tow weight

I have a B-E license (passed in 87)

My current vehicle Volvo XC70 has a tow weight of 1800kg, would I get into bother towing a trailer plated above that 1800kg even if the trailer was either under loaded or empty?

No that is fine,

Keep a note of this web page.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/towing-a-trailer-with-a-car-or-van/towing-a-trailer-with-a-car-or-van-the-basics

Especially this bit

Where the sum of the maximum plated weights of the towing vehicle and of the trailer added together exceed the plated GCW of the towing vehicle, this is not a problem as long as the ‘actual’ weights of the vehicle and trailer (which may not be fully laden at the time) do not exceed the plated GCW.

Just remember that this is ONLY for C&U offences not for licences.

For licences we use the max plated weights.

Edited by Justme
  • Like 2

No that is fine,

Keep a note of this web page.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/towing-a-trailer-with-a-car-or-van/towing-a-trailer-with-a-car-or-van-the-basics

Especially this bit

Where the sum of the maximum plated weights of the towing vehicle and of the trailer added together exceed the plated GCW of the towing vehicle, this is not a problem as long as the ‘actual’ weights of the vehicle and trailer (which may not be fully laden at the time) do not exceed the plated GCW.

Just remember that this is ONLY for C&U offences not for licences.

For licences we use the max plated weights.

Nice one, thanks for the links [emoji106]
  • Like 1