Notre Dame cathedral...

se7enthdevil

12 minutes ago, Mark J said:

The guy who led the last first aid course I was on was a watch commander in the fire brigade. The stuff he was saying about zoning and prioritising of calls was canny harrowing. We really need public services to work. Grenfell should have never happened. So aye, sprinklers in buildings with anything valuable in it sounds like a good plan to me.

It's pointless having systems in place if they ain't maintained. We worked on a fire booster pump set a few years ago In Ipswich, one of the pumps was missing and the other knackered, this on a fairly new development of high rise apartments these pumps are there because the pressure from the water main isn't enough to get water to the upper floors. If there had been a fire the fire brigade would have been no use to man nor beast.

Edited by eggsarascal

13 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

It's pointless having systems in place if they ain't maintained. We worked on a fire booster pump set a few years ago In Ipswich, one of the pumps was missing and the other knackered, this on a fairly new development of high rise apartments these pumps are there because the pressure from the water main isn't enough to get water to the upper floors. If there had been a fire the fire brigade would have been no use to man nor beast.

Aye, without risers or sprinklers you're in big trouble in a tower block. Fire doors work both ways (If they're even there)

Edited by Mark J

My initial take on the Grenfell fire was that the Fire Brigade failed to make any investigation of where the flames had possibly  went, after they vented out the kitchen window, in a multi story building with other, possibly open/possibly broken  windows above.

Or were simply, dare I perhaps say negligent?, in failing to properly ensure the fire was extingushed.

These thoughts are from my memory of my impressions formed based on the TV coverage at the time.

mth

11 hours ago, difflock said:

My initial take on the Grenfell fire was that the Fire Brigade failed to make any investigation of where the flames had possibly  went, after they vented out the kitchen window, in a multi story building with other, possibly open/possibly broken  windows above.

Or were simply, dare I perhaps say negligent?, in failing to properly ensure the fire was extingushed.

These thoughts are from my memory of my impressions formed based on the TV coverage at the time.

mth

Basically the original structure was classed as fireproofed,  from original design drawings ( big slabbed concrete- excellent, plenty of evacuation time) but subsequent panelling  ( sound design or not, arguable ) totally changed any fire spread assessment and smoke toxicity. Hard to blame anyone but Definately a catastrophe to learn from and Not the first of its sort in the UK, I might add. K

Ten years ago in Brittany my French work colleagues long house burnt down.
Fully for 3 days.
The only thing left was the external 3' thick walls and the main oak beam.
2' square and 20'+ long.
We had to cut it out.
Unbelievably the black char was only 1-2" deep.
If I hadn't seen the whole house burnt down I wouldn't have believed it.
Air dried for several centuries and still didn't burn.
[emoji848][emoji3][emoji106]

3 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Ten years ago in Brittany my French work colleagues long house burnt down.
Fully for 3 days.
The only thing left was the external 3' thick walls and the main oak beam.
2' square and 20'+ long.
We had to cut it out.
Unbelievably the black char was only 1-2" deep.
If I hadn't seen the whole house burnt down I wouldn't have believed it.
Air dried for several centuries and still didn't burn.
emoji848.pngemoji3.pngemoji106.png

charcoal and ash is a great insulator so that is frequently the case.