Battery/electric vs Petrol

_celia_

Chainsaws In Arboriculture   

28 members have voted

1. 1. Can battery/electric chainsaws replace petrol chainsaws?

• YES
    • NO
    • NOT YET

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/05/19 at 15:00

2 hours ago, eggsarascal said:
[mention=31689]AHPP[/mention], you're a complete moron to run your house on batteries.

Please post a picture of your last electric bill from the grid.

IMG_5368.jpg

This was December-March. In my defence I had some wasteful guests, whose profligacy I didn’t clamp down on and I did more than usual with power tools. It’s usually more like £2-3 a quarter. I have been using more gas recently though. I had to do a day’s climbing to cover the bill for the next ten years. It’s hard work being a softheaded hippy cunt you know.

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, AHPP said:

Among others, Rudolf Diesel.

putting aside most diesel comes from crude oil, can you manufacture diesel in the quantities needed to replace petrol as a fuel source..   and as cheaply?..  no you can't.  

5 hours ago, AHPP said:

IMG_5368.jpg

This was December-March. In my defence I had some wasteful guests, whose profligacy I didn’t clamp down on and I did more than usual with power tools. It’s usually more like £2-3 a quarter. I have been using more gas recently though. I had to do a day’s climbing to cover the bill for the next ten years. It’s hard work being a softheaded hippy cunt you know.

if battery power is so good why you even paying a bill?...   you still sucking on the national grids tits are you..  

face it, all this solar battery powered saving is a subsidized gimmick to promote alternative energy as a way to make make people think about conserving power more than actually converting to it..

I'd like to see a thirty yr cycle of the actual running costs as well, and not the subsidized five or ten yr cycle of a subsidized system..  have you worked out the costs of the bill including all the maintenance and installation costs..  something tells me it ain't anywhere near a few quid a month..

8 hours ago, Vespasian said:

Has anyone come up with an alternative to crude oil yet?..   if they did that they'd be the richest person in the world..   how long have they had?, how long will it take?...    humans can only do so much..   we can't engineer our way out of something nature has created over millions of yrs...

Battery power is fine for what it is, but it'll never compete with natures black gold..   

bear in mind all those inventions were the result of crude oil..  its portability, its power to weight.. its utility..   nothing comes close or will come close..   

another thing, half the power of petrol comes free by mixing the fuel with air, batteries have to have all their power tied up in its power pack..   another reason why petrol power is more efficient..

what about steam engines as well, according to you all we needed do was keep increasing their effeminacy.. perhaps leading one day to steam engines being as efficient as petrol engines.. begs the question why industry bothered with oil in the first place...   

batteries are not the same thing as heart transplants or computing capacity.. its a simple case of condensing energy for storage...   you can only condense energy so far.   no matter what we invent going forward. that storage still has to abide by the laws of thermodynamics.  

When you say has any one come up with an alternative for crude oil yet do you mean for fuel or for lubrication ?  For lube fully synthetic ...  Half the power comes by mixing with air ?  so if you had a 100hp engine and took the air away it would only be 50hp ? thats bollox . It would not run at all .  Dragging a tank with 80ltrs of petrol in is not much different than dragging a battery round . You are in denial Vesp I can see that . Wait a few years for a Youtube vid of the future battery tech mate .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vespasian said:

if battery power is so good why you even paying a bill?...   you still sucking on the national grids tits are you..  

face it, all this solar battery powered saving is a subsidized gimmick to promote alternative energy as a way to make make people think about conserving power more than actually converting to it..

I'd like to see a thirty yr cycle of the actual running costs as well, and not the subsidized five or ten yr cycle of a subsidized system..  have you worked out the costs of the bill including all the maintenance and installation costs..  something tells me it ain't anywhere near a few quid a month..

You are assuming Alex his getting subsidies for solar, again you are wrong.

49 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

You are assuming Alex his getting subsidies for solar, again you are wrong.

Why is "Alex" still tethered to the grid?..   apparently battery power is better and cheaper..  bit of a puzzler that one..

14 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Wouldn't it be daft to leave yourself without back-up, just in case.

sort of like running a long extension lead behind your electric car..  seems a bit odd that you'd bleat about the benefits of battery power storage only to be so terrified you might be caught short you end up still tethered to the damn thing you're trying to decouple from..   

Its basically cowardice masking itself as self sufficiency..  as bad as those virtue signally left wing loons we all come across in the media and politics..   

be green like me, only don't look to hard at the evidence...