Battery/electric vs Petrol

_celia_

Chainsaws In Arboriculture   

28 members have voted

1. 1. Can battery/electric chainsaws replace petrol chainsaws?

• YES
    • NO
    • NOT YET

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/05/19 at 15:00

19 minutes ago, Ratman said:

He lays on his settee with a rake of blankets over him for warmth! Thats living off grid Rough..... God did ya not know! emoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.png

you'd be lay on settee with a duckdown quilt thrown over you if you lived in this thing I have to put up with..   I might as well live in a barn..   its one plus is its cool when its scorching outside..  

2 hours ago, Vespasian said:

its still cheaper to suck it out the ground than to grow bio fuels from crops

Do you KNOW that to be true? I suspect it's not but the calculation to be certain is probably pretty fearsome. I don't think either of us know for certain.

21 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Do you KNOW that to be true? I suspect it's not but the calculation to be certain is probably pretty fearsome. I don't think either of us know for certain.

Kind of a moot point whether it's cheaper or not, since arible land under oilseed rape or ethanol corn is not useful for food crops, fodder crops or grazing, thus driving up the price of food. So even if it was cheaper, you'd pay more for food. Now, it's true they do make cattle feed out of the biproducts from biofules. But there's still processing, transport, extraction and a whole massive infrastructure to refine the biofule. With crude oil, it's under the ground, so the land footprint of the extraction sites can be very small, or offshore, and some of the places it's found are not suitable for farming anyway, like deserts and tundra. I don't like the idea personally of using fertile land to grow "food" for cars. It just feels like the wrong way round, somehow.

42 minutes ago, AHPP said:

I can't see bio fuels being produced for ten dollars a barrel which is what it cost to extract Saudi Oil.. though to be fair there is the refining costs on top of that.. plus distribution costs but that applies to bio fuels I suppose...

anyway, I suppose with an high crude price we might see parity but if crude prices drop off a cliff it becomes uneconomic overnight..

You can turn the taps off at an oil well but you can't stick millions of acres of crops back in the ground.. well I suppose you could.. but you know what I mean..

I can't see bio fuels being produced for ten dollars a barrel which is what it cost to extract Saudi Oil.. though to be fair there is the refining costs on top of that.. plus distribution costs but that applies to bio fuels I suppose...

anyway, I suppose with an high crude price we might see parity but if crude prices drop off a cliff it becomes uneconomic overnight..

You can turn the taps off at an oil well but you can't stick millions of acres of crops back in the ground.. well I suppose you could.. but you know what I mean..

........................[emoji848]..................NO!

13 hours ago, Vespasian said:

But the oil in the ground has taken millions of years to form and the plants will grow again next year and every year after that won't they ? As with everything else production costs will drop as new techniques are developed and new improved sources are found. Some way of turning plastic waste back into fuel would be a good start.

• Like 1