Battery/electric vs Petrol

_celia_

Chainsaws In Arboriculture   

28 members have voted

1. 1. Can battery/electric chainsaws replace petrol chainsaws?

• YES
    • NO
    • NOT YET

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/05/19 at 15:00

2 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Firstly, he's not a mate. He invented and supplies battery monitoring equipment, he also advises the battery manufacturing companies on new battery technology. I would think to be able to do this he must know about battery development.

I'm sure he knows all about batteries and whats being experimented on.. thats something that doesn't concerns me..  I'd be more impressed if he worked on upcoming battery technology..  

I'm sure he's a bright fella as well..  having read his page and a couple of others from his site i get the impression he ain't no numpty...   still, its all a bit pointless if he works on the periphery of the battery powered technology industry..

I want you to link to sites that deal in new technology that suggests a great leap in battery technology is being made..    I've looked and can't find anything that suggests any tipping point has been reached storing energy into batteries..

Thats because they've reached their limits..   

5 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

I'm sure he knows all about batteries and whats being experimented on.. thats something that doesn't concerns me..  I'd be more impressed if he worked on upcoming battery technology..  

I'm sure he's a bright fella as well..  having read his page and a couple of others from his site i get the impression he ain't no numpty...   still, its all a bit pointless if he works on the periphery of the battery powered technology industry..

I want you to link to sites that deal in new technology that suggests a great leap in battery technology is being made..    I've looked and can't find anything that suggests any tipping point has been reached storing energy into batteries..

Thats because they've reached their limits..   

Do you honestly think the battery manufacturers are going to broadcast that they are on the edge of a break through, I'd imagine that these are closely guarded secret. By the way, I watched your link, it says nothing more than the information that is already in the public domain.

I've reach my limits with you this evening.

When it comes to cell chemistry, I think they gave reached their limit, for the time being. Advances have been made on the changing speed side of things, and the max number of lifetime charge cycles, which is pretty great. But at present the li-ion format can only output so many amps for a given weight of cells, so it's kind of reached a dead end, as far as handheld machinery is concerned. Also the more energy you draw for a given time, the more monitoring teck you need to prevent the cells overheating. Too much draw means cooling fans, adds weight, etc. Then there is the cost angle, with li-ion being the industry standard for nearly everything, the eco omy of scale has made the tech affordable, but remember fifteen years ago when the new batteries hit the market, they were horribly expensive. Also, in order for the teck to be marketable, it also has to be safe. A li-ion cell packs the same energy as an explosive, weight for weight. Turns out they are pretty safe, if paired with monitoring tech. Could be a long time before experimental graphene (or whatever) batteries are at the same level of reliability and cost effectiveness.

• Like 1

On 19/04/2019 at 06:54, Vespasian said:

putting aside most diesel comes from crude oil, can you manufacture diesel in the quantities needed to replace petrol as a fuel source..   and as cheaply?..  no you can't.  

When you consider the cost of wars to get the petrol/diesel and the coincident oppression from a state large enough to wage those wars, petrol/diesel is pretty expensive. Rudolf Diesel designed his eponymous engine to run on vegetable oil, which is easily grown in most places. It's all sunshine power bear in mind. Black oil has just sat in the ground for a long time.

On 19/04/2019 at 07:05, Vespasian said:

if battery power is so good why you even paying a bill?...   you still sucking on the national grids tits are you..  

face it, all this solar battery powered saving is a subsidized gimmick to promote alternative energy as a way to make make people think about conserving power more than actually converting to it..

I'd like to see a thirty yr cycle of the actual running costs as well, and not the subsidized five or ten yr cycle of a subsidized system..  have you worked out the costs of the bill including all the maintenance and installation costs..  something tells me it ain't anywhere near a few quid a month..

£100 - 500W of panels

£10   - some hinges and coach bolts to hang them up

£20   - charge controller

£30   - wiring

£20   - assorted tat like cigarette lighter sockets

£7     - my little inverter

£30   - bigger inverter

£5     - fuel to collect batteries I get for free (paid for through my own wit and ingenuity if you prefer)

£222 - total

It's been up for two years and I'll be amazed if I have serious problems before 10 years. Charge controllers and inverters are the things that can go wrong. My last larger inverter lasted 5 years but most of that was bumping around in a van, not sat still in a house.

I bought the stuff outright and I get no subsidies.

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 3

I lived off grid for eight years. Minimal solar setup, 100 watts of panels and 120 AH of storage or so. It was fine for charging a phone and a few lights. Its when you want serious power for washing machines, kettles, cookers, water heaters, power tools and so on that the problems arise. Even a site generator won't easily boil a kettle (it will but not good for the gennie) You're talking massive output for water heating...

I have a friend who lives completely off grid, mainly because where he lives in the hills in Spain, the power company wanted to charge him €10,000 to put the power cables in.

It is now 12 years since putting in the solar panels and the batteries are now going. The trouble is, that he has 12 and they’re €390 each!

Okay living in southern Spain you obviously get more sun, but nothing is free in the end.

Also when it rains all day, not very often, he has to use his generator.

He heats the whole house in the winter with a wood burner.

PS Buying electric in Spain is the most expensive in Europe. So you can see why a lot of people are going renewable.

Martyn

15 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

What's your controller saying you are taking in today?

Not sure to be honest. The batteries are full. I think I've got the controller set to charge at 14.3-14.5v and now I've put a load on it to see how many amps are coming in, it's sat happily at 14.4v in oblique bright sunshine. Highest amp readout observed on the controller over twenty seconds or so was 3.6 but it's jumping around and I doubt is drinking in the max considering how full the batteries are.