Battery/electric vs Petrol

_celia_

Chainsaws In Arboriculture   

28 members have voted

1. 1. Can battery/electric chainsaws replace petrol chainsaws?

• YES
    • NO
    • NOT YET

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/05/19 at 15:00

16 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

Most, I'd say occasionally when justified..  my use of the word cowardice is a bit more nebulas as well..  though in essence it means the same..,   afraid to admit a truth for fear of its consequences.. 

Battery technology may have stalled somewhat at the moment but the technology to advance battery efficiency ( smaller , less weight , shorter charge time , greater capacity   ) will in my opinion , carry on beyond anything you are dismissing right now . . Just my opinion like yours is it wont .   You cant prove it won't just coz it has not yet .  same as I can't prove it will . Its an opinion based on the advances made of late .

• Like 1

sort of like running a long extension lead behind your electric car..  seems a bit odd that you'd bleat about the benefits of battery power storage only to be so terrified you might be caught short you end up still tethered to the damn thing you're trying to decouple from..   

Its basically cowardice masking itself as self sufficiency..  as bad as those virtue signally left wing loons we all come across in the media and politics..   

be green like me, only don't look to hard at the evidence...  

I dont think not washing and becoming smelly and stained counts as being “green” Vesp! Me thinks your on a loser her..... do concede, its the only true outcome. [emoji4]

15 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Battery technology may have stalled somewhat at the moment but the technology to advance battery efficiency ( smaller , less weight , shorter charge time , greater capacity   ) will in my opinion , carry on beyond anything you are dismissing right now . . Just my opinion like yours is it wont .   You cant prove it won't just coz it has not yet .  same as I can't prove it will . Its an opinion based on the advances made of late .

I'm basing my opinion on good science not a gut feeling..  not to mention thunderfoot knows what he's talking about..  he doesn't work in the nuclear science industry for nothing..  he knows his stuff...

if he suspects battery power has reached its limits I have to agree..  because he explains why it can't get much better due the laws of thermodynamics...   you can't keep squeezing energy into an ever smaller mass, because that means it becomes ever more unstable...  its not something anyone will ever get around,  because its not something that can be done...   

4 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

I'm basing my opinion on good science not a gut feeling..  not to mention thunderfoot knows what he's talking about..  he doesn't work in the nuclear science industry for nothing..  he knows his stuff...

if he suspects battery power has reached its limits I have to agree..  because he explains why it can't get much better due the laws of thermodynamics...   you can't keep squeezing energy into an ever smaller mass, because that means it becomes ever more unstable...  its not something anyone will ever get around,  because its not something that can be done...   

There you go again with can't .

Vesp, did you read the link I posted of Gibos' website?, he's traveled the world explaining to the likes of Tesla how to improve batteries, charging regimes, monitoring systems and the like. He sells systems to the MOD. I've known him for about 15 years, in all that time he's lived off grid. I'm afraid I'll take his word on battery technology over a two bit gardener from Bolton.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Who said that?

I was making a point, that not everything improves over time..  something better is found instead..

much like we don't go to work on a horse these days....   

4 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Vesp, did you read the link I posted of Gibos' website?, he's traveled the world explaining to the likes of Tesla how to improve batteries, charging regimes, monitoring systems and the like. He sells systems to the MOD. I've known him for about 15 years, in all that time he's lived off grid. I'm afraid I'll take his word on battery technology over a two bit gardener from Bolton.

Its not my opinion you should be taking note of, its experts in the field of thermodynamics...  I'm just passing on his opinions..   and he's a nuclear physicist.

Your friend might live off grid, good for him..  but if its that good why isn't everyone else doing it?...

might I suggest because the economies of scale of a power station is much cheaper than having a micro power station in every house..