Battery/electric vs Petrol

_celia_

Chainsaws In Arboriculture   

28 members have voted

1. 1. Can battery/electric chainsaws replace petrol chainsaws?

• YES
    • NO
    • NOT YET

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/05/19 at 15:00

11 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Instead of watching some YouTube videos, read some proper research.

I don't know if @Vespasian is right about a battery saw never going to make anything like a good 70cc felling saw. I agree that volume of petrol is a lot of energy to squeeze into a plastic case. One battery for the gob, then another for backcut etc.

But Eggs is right - Vespasian will never understand a complex subject like battery technology from Youtube presenters (self appointed experts who equip themselves with jargon to lend themselves an air of authority). The only way to know the cutting edge is to read the research. Unfortunately it takes a genuine interest in the subject to motivate oneself to read research.

Edited by tree-fancier123
  • Like 4

What about wood gas?
You can extract tars,oils,diesel,petrol and that's just the by products.
The gas(once cleaned) will burn readily in a petrol engine with only minor adjustments to the carb.
Most dried biomass will work.
[emoji848][emoji106]

1 minute ago, Rough Hewn said:

What about wood gas?
You can extract tars,oils,diesel,petrol and that's just the by products.
The gas(once cleaned) will burn readily in a petrol engine with only minor adjustments to the carb.
Most dried biomass will work.
emoji848.pngemoji106.png

What about a water powered Hydrogen engine ? Have heard the petrochemical company's have bought up the patents  on this to shut it down till the oil runs out ....

43 minutes ago, Stubby said:

The words " cowardice " and " scum " feature in most of your posts Vesp . I godda say you do spout some crap allot  of the time . 

Most, I'd say occasionally when justified..  my use of the word cowardice is a bit more nebulas as well..  though in essence it means the same..,   afraid to admit a truth for fear of its consequences.. 

What about a water powered Hydrogen engine ? Have heard the petrochemical company's have bought up the patents  on this to shut it down till the oil runs out ....

Yeah....
That needed a 36kv arc to split the molecules.

During the WW2 over 500,000 vehicles on British roads used gasification, mainly using coal.

After paying £20 for 5 litres of aspen, I'm beginning to think there would be a market for wood petrol or liquified wood gas.
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

I have spoken at length to the bloke that invented this.

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/

He knows a bit about battery technology. I don't think he gleaned his knowledge through watching YouTube, but I'm sure Vesp will put me right.

I'm sure the fella you spoke to is very well informed..   as I'm sure he believes battery technology will improve..  

But thinking it is not the same as seeing the evidence...