Battery/electric vs Petrol

_celia_

Chainsaws In Arboriculture   

28 members have voted

1. 1. Can battery/electric chainsaws replace petrol chainsaws?

• YES
    • NO
    • NOT YET

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/05/19 at 15:00

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

What I am suggesting is ...never say never . just coz it aint dun yet don't mean mean it wont some time .  Oh and yes you are a wanker Vesp ?

I wish you wouldn't attempt a thread derail by getting personal..  anyway, if you'd of watched the vid and had the capacity to understand whats bein got at, you'd understand why battery power is never gonna replace petrol on small engines for chainsaws..   which is the point of the thread is it not...

battery power is only ten percent of petrol power on a power to weight ratio..  I doubt that gap will ever be bridged..   or looked at another way, for one gallon of petrol, 5 kilos you'd need many more kilos of batteries on site to get the same amount of work done if you had no charge point..

a couple of batteries on a pruning saw sunday morning and battery saws are great, otherwise a waste of good money...    I do have a battery powered strimmer, stilh...  a waste of time... ok for the home owner who don't know no different but for the professional gardener no use nor ornament..

2 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

I wish you wouldn't attempt a thread derail by getting personal..  anyway, if you'd of watched the vid and had the capacity to understand whats bein got at, you'd understand why battery power is never gonna replace petrol on small engines for chainsaws..   which is the point of the thread is it not...

battery power is only ten percent of petrol power on a power to weight ratio..  I doubt that gap will ever be bridged..   or looked at another way, for one gallon of petrol, 5 kilos you'd need many more kilos of batteries on site to get the same amount of work done if you had no charge point..

a couple of batteries on a pruning saw sunday morning and battery saws are great, otherwise a waste of good money...    I do have a battery powered strimmer, stilh...  a waste of time... ok for the home owner who don't know no different but for the professional gardener no use nor ornament..

Sorry . Yep childish of me .  But , I stand by my comment of just coz its not got there yet does not mean it won't .  That's how everything happens . Maned flight , heart transplants ,  hand held phones 100 times more powerful than computers of 20 years ago  etc etc da de da de da ....

• Like 1

I wish you wouldn't attempt a thread derail by getting personal..  anyway, if you'd of watched the vid and had the capacity to understand whats bein got at, you'd understand why battery power is never gonna replace petrol on small engines for chainsaws..   which is the point of the thread is it not...   battery power is only ten percent of petrol power on a power to weight ratio..  I doubt that gap will ever be bridged..   or looked at another way, for one gallon of petrol, 5 kilos you'd need many more kilos of batteries on site to get the same amount of work done if you had no charge point..

Vesp my old tatey.... i have to say that your wrong! (Before you start with ‘the facts’ quoted from google shat!..... you contradict yaself. Listen up mucker, i’ll say it only once and shan’t repeat! You say battery will never replace petrol..... blah blah blah!......... Not true!!!! 

Battery may not replace petrol in a full days stamina test, (yet!) i.e felling 100ft trees with a 3 foot girth etc! But battery will more than out weigh a small tree fell and pruning exercise to the everyday gardener, like yourself! [emoji6][emoji4] (with benefits such as noise, pollution, operator ease etc) to rule out battery in every scenario as you have portrayed is not correct. Give your head a wobble and start looking at it from both points of view please! [emoji6][emoji106]

• Like 1

Lithium batteries are nowhere near there "peak" yet, they've a long way to go. To suggest that they wont get any better is ridiculous. Instead of watching some YouTube videos, read some proper research. If you do need to watch YouTube to get your information on battery technology try watching people who live off grid and depend on batteries for power.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Sorry . Yep childish of me .  But , I stand by my comment of just coz its not got there yet does not mean it won't .  That's how everything happens . Maned flight , heart transplants ,  hand held phones 100 times more powerful than computers of 20 years ago  etc etc da de da de da ....

Has anyone come up with an alternative to crude oil yet?..   if they did that they'd be the richest person in the world..   how long have they had?, how long will it take?...    humans can only do so much..   we can't engineer our way out of something nature has created over millions of yrs...

Battery power is fine for what it is, but it'll never compete with natures black gold..   

bear in mind all those inventions were the result of crude oil..  its portability, its power to weight.. its utility..   nothing comes close or will come close..   

another thing, half the power of petrol comes free by mixing the fuel with air, batteries have to have all their power tied up in its power pack..   another reason why petrol power is more efficient..

what about steam engines as well, according to you all we needed do was keep increasing their effeminacy.. perhaps leading one day to steam engines being as efficient as petrol engines.. begs the question why industry bothered with oil in the first place...   

batteries are not the same thing as heart transplants or computing capacity.. its a simple case of condensing energy for storage...   you can only condense energy so far.   no matter what we invent going forward. that storage still has to abide by the laws of thermodynamics.  

25 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Vesp my old tatey.... i have to say that your wrong! (Before you start with ‘the facts’ quoted from google shat!..... you contradict yaself. Listen up mucker, i’ll say it only once and shan’t repeat! You say battery will never replace petrol..... blah blah blah!......... Not true!!!! 

Battery may not replace petrol in a full days stamina test, (yet!) i.e felling 100ft trees with a 3 foot girth etc! But battery will more than out weigh a small tree fell and pruning exercise to the everyday gardener, like yourself! emoji6.pngemoji4.png (with benefits such as noise, pollution, operator ease etc) to rule out battery in every scenario as you have portrayed is not correct. Give your head a wobble and start looking at it from both points of view please! emoji6.pngemoji106.png

hahaha think you got me didn't you.. well if you'd of read all I've said on the subject I did say that batteries have their uses for chainsaws.. being quiet an all they'll do for jobs were noise is an issue..  which is why I like the idea of em..  but can't recommend on account of their poor performance against a petrol chainsaw...

15 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Lithium batteries are nowhere near there "peak" yet, they've a long way to go. To suggest that they wont get any better is ridiculous. Instead of watching some YouTube videos, read some proper research. If you do need to watch YouTube to get your information on battery technology try watching people who live off grid and depend on batteries for power.

I've watched hundred of vids of people living off grid using battery power..  most of em give up eventually..   or if they don't its because they haven't the means to..   they're not the panacea they're made out to be..   

I think the channel, pure living for life summed it up..  went to live off grid and eventually baled and installed electric..   its no fun living with genies and batteries, it easier all round to have a wire carry electric to your home..   in fact other than people living miles out the way, you'd be a complete moron to go over to batteries or a gennie as your power source... 

well one way to look at this is just look at what the zero (electric bikes) have done on the isle of man at the TT they have come on so much in the last 5 yrs and are now lapping at over 100mph, so i cant see why saws cant end up on battery power, BUT how big a saw can be created to run on battery power in commercial forestry ? before you need a Quad bike and trailer to get all your batteries there with out killing yourself before you start, i can see a saw like a ms261 being on battery power in the next 5 yrs, but for a saws like a ms461/462 i think is a long way off yet, i have just bought some new litheum batteries for a drill and what a differance to the old nicad ones,

21 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

I've watched hundred of vids of people living off grid using battery power..  most of em give up eventually..   or if they don't its because they haven't the means to..   they're not the panacea they're made out to be..   

I think the channel, pure living for life summed it up..  went to live off grid and eventually baled and installed electric..   its no fun living with genies and batteries, it easier all round to have a wire carry electric to your home..   in fact other than people living miles out the way, you'd be a complete moron to go over to batteries or a gennie as your power source... 

@AHPP, you're a complete moron to run your house on batteries.

Please post a picture of your last electric bill from the grid.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 1

You have watched hundreds of vids but never done it sums it up..
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1