Battery/electric vs Petrol

_celia_

Chainsaws In Arboriculture   

28 members have voted

1. 1. Can battery/electric chainsaws replace petrol chainsaws?

• YES
    • NO
    • NOT YET

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/05/19 at 15:00

7 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Yep not yet, but they are getting better and better all the time. It’s all down to the battery technology in the whole, although certain members of this forum believe batteries can’t get any better than they currently are ?

Agreed . Look how Tesla have come on with battery tech .  As it stands at the moment small saws , pruning size are quite good it seems . A 3120 equivalent with a 42" bar would take some doing  . But that does not mean it wont happen .  Look at the I.O.M. TT races coming up this May. Specifically the " Zero TT " race . Battery powered bikes doing almost a 130 MPH average speed lap !

• Like 2

I would say yes in some applications   I bought a stihl MSA  200 for home logging, could not fault the saw for that use  but missed the noise  and decided I was to tight to have £600 quid plus of equipment sitting around  when £200 MS 181 does the same job

• Like 1

On 15/04/2019 at 19:11, Steve Bullman said:

Yep not yet, but they are getting better and better all the time. It’s all down to the battery technology in the whole, although certain members of this forum believe batteries can’t get any better than they currently are ?

Do you mean me?     ☹️

Vid of thunderfoot explaining why batteries are as good as they're likely to get any time soon....  or why petrol power is the perfect fuel for use on small engines...   in fact most any engine...

The gist of the argument is condensing energy into ever smaller volumes creates instability, which in turn makes some batteries very dangerous if they combust....  

other than batteries are at the apex of their design thats not to say they aren't any good in a chainsaw....   if your starting early morning or of a weekend battery pruning chainsaws come into their own...    will they ever replace petrol chainsaws?....   unfortunately not...

Celia..............   you don't need bother investigating any further than this post by me...   it explains it all....    I wish battery powered small engines would become more useful and replace petrol engines...   unfortunately its never going to happen...pity.

• Thanks 1

Do you mean me?     ☹️

Vid of thunderfoot explaining why batteries are as good as they're likely to get any time soon....  or why petrol power is the perfect fuel for use on small engines...   in fact most any engine...

The gist of the argument is condensing energy into ever smaller volumes creates instability, which in turn makes some batteries very dangerous if they combust....  

other than batteries are at the apex of their design thats not to say they aren't any good in a chainsaw....   if your starting early morning or of a weekend battery pruning chainsaws come into their own...    will they ever replace petrol chainsaws?....   unfortunately not...

Celia..............   you don't need bother investigating any further than this post by me...   it explains it all....    I wish battery powered small engines would become more useful and replace petrol engines...   unfortunately its never going to happen...pity.

Vesp........ you sound paranoid cocker!