Traditional timber frame

Johnsond

7 hours ago, ucoulddoit said:

Not sure if glulam is relevant to the thread title but the following link goes to a news item on the glulam manufacturers website which has three photoes  of the frame they made for me to my design which I erected myself  http://www.bucklandtimber.co.uk/news/buckland-timber-siberian-larch-gothic-portal-frame/   No need for anyone to highlight the H&S issues during erection! The design won’t be to everyone’s taste and it is a very small project, just under 20 square metres floor area, but there are other much more impressive examples on the website of what can be done by including a frame. The news item for the private swimming pool for instance shows how you can achieve a large open plan area with almost 100% glazing on the external walls.

I included a simple frame on such a small project because it isn’t attached to the main building and with a heavy tiled roof, a large amount of glazing on the walls and other issues, it wouldn’t otherwise be stable in the hurricane force winds we get every winter. The front frame is set back about a metre and the roof cantilevers over this frame which means when sitting at the front, there is less obstruction to the view out of the front window which wraps around both sides. I’d like to have laminated the frames myself but just had too much on to be able do it when I needed them. Each frame is laminated from 51 layers of 9mm thick larch planks which enables a fairly tight radius of 2m at the haunch. Most of each frame will remain visible in the completed project.

When working up the design for this project I looked into the option of a green oak frame which I would have fabricated myself and I also obtained an estimate from a manufacturer for supply only which I would have erected. But the glulam worked out to be a fraction of the cost compared to a manufactured green oak frame and we really like it!

Andrew

Looks really good Andrew. View is lovely. That raising procedure is indeed a crazy bit of rigging ??

16 hours ago, Johnsond said:

That raising procedure is indeed a crazy bit of rigging ??

It does look a bit precarious, but felt quite safe and it's more or less the traditional method of raising much larger frames. I'd wear my steel toe capped boots next time though.......

21 hours ago, petercb said:

Nice frames though, finished yet?

Hoping to have it wind and watertight by the autumn. Could have been done quicker, but I've still to make the oak framed window frames, etc. and it's just the reality that it takes ages when doing every bit of every different  trade on a spare time self build project. Started almost 2 years ago by hand digging (no access for a machine) the trenches for a sewer diversion which was over 4 feet down.........

Andrew

• Like 3