house renovation forum

carlos

1 hour ago, carlos said:

starting to insulate the loft, i ended up taking down the t+g ceiling board down, i was going to put up plaster board then put rockwool above , but i have been looking at plaster board with foam insulation on the back and i thought this may be an easier option, any thoughts??

also it seems people put a serious amount of insulation in there loft!!? is this really necessary , iam keen to keep as much space and air around the timbers.

thanks carl

save your money. Use 15mm plasterboard and 2 layers of 200mm rockwool in the loft laid opposing ways. Minimum for building regs/SAP calcs on our new builds.

If you want to use the loft you can spray foam between the trusses, costs more, more mess, stinks etc etc

• Like 1

On 30/04/2019 at 17:55, scbk said:

Slowly doing up a house here, found a good website for paint and decorating supplies, https://www.trade1st.co.uk/ good prices, service, easy to use site, and no issues with delivering to the Highlands. Some of the suppliers who advertise on arbtalk could learn a thing or two :ahhhhh:

that is crazy expensive prices. 

£16.50+vat for 5L of armstead emulsion!!!!!!

I pay that for 10L at jewsons.

If this is a house for life, as far as anyone can ever foresee, get the basics right. Sagging undersized floor / ceiling joists leading to sagging upstairs studwork and door linings etc. is not a structural issue you want to re-visit later down the line. If they are questionable have it all out and upgrade the ceiling joists at the same time so you can convert the roofspace at a later date, even better get the roof stairs in now. Stairbox will make you any flight of stairs for about 25% of the cost of top notch joiner made stairs and for the money they are unbeatable.

As I said if you plan to stay get as close to a 'passive' level of insulation that you can. Yes that is around 500mm Celotex at rafter level and insulation below ground floor slab also. Buy the insulation from the following link, I have used loads of times and sheets are like new.

https://www.secondsandco.co.uk/

Rafters can be ventilated so don't panic about that. Energy is a major annual expense and is only going to cost more over time.

The above will be costly but it will never cost less than today and you will look back in the future and be able to think that you acted wisely rather than having any regrets. Good luck ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, donnk said:

that is crazy expensive prices. 

£16.50+vat for 5L of armstead emulsion!!!!!!

I pay that for 10L at jewsons.

I don't think you'd want to buy plain old emulsion online, it's always going to cost more.

thanks for the replies, just going to go with plain  plaster boards and fibreglass as the  insulated boards i got a price on wernt suitable for ceilings and the right ones where more again.

got a pretty small budget to throw at the house so dont want to go too mad in one area and not be able to do other work that needs to be done, enjoying it all so far , especially now the weather is good.

thanks again, carl.

• 3 months later...

wondering if anyone has put a small stove in a mobile home?? not sure the best thing to put around it on the walls in terms a heat shield. my ideas of not needing one were a bit out as we had a elec rad on in august! thanks carl 

wondering if anyone has put a small stove in a mobile home?? not sure the best thing to put around it on the walls in terms a heat shield. my ideas of not needing one were a bit out as we had a elec rad on in august! thanks carl 

VITCAS board would work for you. [emoji106]

i did look at that sort of board the price put me off a bit but maybe its the best option.

the house is plodding on, got one bedroom ceiling plasterboarded and plastered and the other bed room  ol.d ceiling ripped out, just waiting on some new lighting and wiring to be put in.

slow going on my own but enjoying it and feeling lucky to be in the position to be doing it if you know what i mean. summer outside/ in the mobile was lovely, just need to get into winter mode now! 

thanks carl

• Like 1