house renovation forum

carlos

thanks for all the encouraging replies, good to see plenty of other folk doing their own homes.

just so glad to have got the place as rents round here are high enough with not that many available.

good excuse to buy a few tools if nothing else! ;)

thanks carl

• Like 2

thanks for all the encouraging replies, good to see plenty of other folk doing their own homes.
just so glad to have got the place as rents round here are high enough with not that many available.
good excuse to buy a few tools if nothing else! [emoji6]
thanks carl
Rents are ridiculous. It was the main reason I went down the mobile home route. Best of luck with yours!
  • Like 1

Another one who has been doing the house for too many years ?

Best advice I can give is take a bit of time to come up with a plan - think again and make sure you are happy with the plan then look into how you are going to achieve the plan. Factor in future plans - even if you cant afford them now, you can at least put in the prep work while things are in pieces. If you plan to sell on eventually, keep that in mind - not everybody will agree with your ideas

Once that is done, head down and crack on, dont change the plan endlessly - it gets expensive and life gets complicated ?

Push through and get it done and then put your feet up & enjoy.

Yes you will always find something that was probably better done differently, but does it really matter that much. Life is too short. Guess you can tell I would now like to get it finished now ?

On the up side, it is satisfying and you get what you want in the end and costs are spread out over a few years so makes it more affordable compared to shelling out a big wad of cash up front for the finished product - baring in mind that this is dependant on not changing your mind all the time ......... ?

Fair play to all the plasterers - amateur & pro - didnt even bother trying and much prefer the carpentry side anyway ?

• Like 2

Bought a wrecked house at the end of last year, 1st thing I have done is put in a log burner to try and work in a bit of warmth as the electric, gas and plumbing are all knackered and isolated.

At the stage I am at just now, I think I am treading mud, as the house just appears to be getting worse as I pull more and more of the stuffing out of the place.

Ahhh another person from out west. There are a few of us based there. I have a place near Clon. You're right about crazy rents but it surprises how many people wont live in a older place like yours. There have been lots come onto the market in recent years.

H

I bought two old derelict estate cottages and knocked them into one house I’ve been doin my project the last two years and almost there [emoji51]
I’ve found the most expensive/time consuming things are things you expect from a normal house. We had to put a new roof on, re-wire, central heating. Get your “bones” done right and then one room at a time.
If you need heating consider rhi options.
Good luck!

13 years into a 5 year plan doing up my mums old house! Deffo make a plan and stick to it and not change half way through as I and the wife have done many times. House almost finished and also landscapeing almost there. Best of luck with the renovation only advice is put in the best insolation you can afford as it'll pay in the long run

• Like 1

On 19/04/2019 at 10:38, hplp said:

Ahhh another person from out west. There are a few of us based there. I have a place near Clon. You're right about crazy rents but it surprises how many people wont live in a older place like yours. There have been lots come onto the market in recent years.

H

it nice out clon way where abouts are you in clon?

• 3 weeks later...

starting to insulate the loft, i ended up taking down the t+g ceiling board down, i was going to put up plaster board then put rockwool above , but i have been looking at plaster board with foam insulation on the back and i thought this may be an easier option, any thoughts??

also it seems people put a serious amount of insulation in there loft!!? is this really necessary , iam keen to keep as much space and air around the timbers.

thanks carl