When is a cubic metre not a cubic metre?

Squaredy

3 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

I measured the internal size of the bag - ie the usable size of the bag.  The seller may have been measuring the bags including the seams as you suggest.  The point is he offered to sell me a certain number of cubic metres of the product.  It is up to him to ensure that is what I receive.  If the bag he uses will not hold a cubic metre he should either use a larger bag or more bags to make up the agreed volume.

It will be interesting to see what happens if I ever buy a walking floor lorry load from the company.  Will they measure the outside dimension of the lorry to calculate the volume......?

Depends on the size of the body, most  walking floor's we have in are about 80c/mtr so I would be suprised if you got a full load.

I kinda imagine, with all the quality assured "kiln dried" "x" % moisture malarky, that logs should simply  be sold on weight, with, if needs be,  the price adjusted for the weight against excess % moisture (& a very simple "app" would take care of that)

at least by the large professional outfits, an added benefit is there would then be less fuss about hardwood or softwood.

Selling, or at least buying by improperly measured loose bag volume is to me a mugs game, unless delivered in a rigid container that can be measured.

Marcus

10 minutes ago, ash_smith123 said:

I did give you a price last year if your still interested? we are now Ready to burn certified on hardwood and softwood. Only down the road and always happy to help emoji106.png

Thanks Ash yes I remember, but what you quoted me for was freshly processed.  When I received an email out of the blue offering kilned and ready to burn UK grown I thought it would be worth a punt.  I will happily give yours a go, but only if it is all UK sourced.  I thought I read in one of your posts that you are using imported these days?

All our softwood is homegrown but last year with the lack of hardwood in the area most of the hardwood we had to unfortunately import. We've hopefully got a few good loads of hardwood lined up this summer but the wood will all have to be purchased before August I would say this year. We are just too busy in the winter to keep up with wholesale orders as well [emoji106].
Another person to try for hardwood is Walkers logs. They are Gloucester way and do home grown wholesale kiln dried hardwood by the artic load. Would be worth a try [emoji106]

• Thanks 1

This is a very common con,  when I turn up with a 1m x 1m x 1m bag that has also stretched by an average 300mm having been bounced by a teleporter new customers always comment how much more wood they get than the last company they bought from.  I picked up an empty bag from a client recently,  Bag Supplies vented bag 80cm x 80cm x 80 cm.  I did wonder how on earth they got 6 on one trailer when I can only get 2 of my bags on a slightly smaller trailer.    This was sold as a cubic meter.  

Every bulk bag of logs, from the honest suppliers, should include a tape measure and an A4 sized explanation of how to measure and calculate the volume of a cube.

The message might eventually get through.

P.S.

We had the same scam when buying bark or wood chip for Council Play Areas, priced and bought per m3, and always paying for about 20 to 30% more volume than the walking floor trailer could hold; "because it settles in the trailer Sir", when I first queried the clear discrepancy.

However across the limited suppliers in NI  it was a level playing field, since the bulk trailers were the same size.

But still.

• Like 3