Leylandii topping around sub-station

Andrew L

Looks scary in the picture, work on the basis that branches are conductive and that high voltage can jump air gaps, looks like parts of those are potentially live. By the book you should not work within 9m of the line/poles to stay out of the proximity zone, probably not a bad distance until you get proper advice from someone on site.

On 13/04/2019 at 22:25, Mark Bolam said:

Just don’t damage the lines or gear.

You will get a massive bill and I would guess your insurance company would get a bit funny.

Does anyone know the crack re standard insurance and power line stuff? There is nothing I can see in my policy to say I’m not covered if I muller a 33kv and take out several villages, but I simply don’t know the answer.

I have zero UA tickets.

.....how is yr bid going fr UK Power Networks then ? ;) k

Years ago we were dismantling a high fir next to a sub station, the sort that you see tucked away on estates that power 20 of 30 houses. I looked down to see one of my young fellows had climbed over the perimeter fence and was walking on top of the transformers and cooling fins to retrieve an odd little branch that had flipped over there.
He was a keen little worker so I didn’t shout at him at the time,but I was blinking glad when he clambered back to the safe side again. I had a vision of just his little steel toe caps remaining in a pile of smoking fat.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

• 1 month later...

Hi,

late response sorry, although its a transformer its also called a pole mounted sub station to. I'm surprised they didn't clear more as they look very close to conductor going into the transformer which is 11kv. They do have to maintain a statutory clearance in enats 43-8 though.

entats.JPG

Agreed, I was really surprised by their attitude: apparently could not care less how long I took, what I did or did not do.

On my way down I offered to remove smaller branches that were almost touching the wires and they said only if you want to. But they were clearly going to cause a short out imminently.

Weird. The trouble is the customer wanted as much left on as possible.

Rubbish job from start to finish. 

Very glad to leave.

A

10 hours ago, Andrew L said:

And finally, on Tuesday 21st May, UK Power Networks got around to turning off the power for an hour or so,,,

Just for interest,  which region of UK Power Networks is this (a county could do)?

It seems worrying overgrown for a domestic situation (but the maybe the landowner has not cooperated with UKPNs planned tree cutting efforts in the past).