Sluggish Feed Rollers

ATC1983

Hi Folks, haven't posted on here in about 6 years, well maybe 5......

So I started out years ago, hoping to do a bit of part-time tree work and maintenance and it's all gone well - I've not made huge money, but what I have made has done me very well and helped cover my living costs...

At the minute is the bain of my existence, a TP160 woodchipper I bought a couple of years ago for ten grand. I didn't fully ever get the chance to use it - I was working two jobs, had a sloped driveway that made the chipper impossible to get in and out, hired it out to mates a few times to see it come back worse for year etc...

Ironically, this will be my first year trying to go full time at this and whilst I'm now good at the trade, I question do I need a chipper and am therefore looking to sell it on again. I got an okish offer of £4 grand on it but when I went to demo the feed rollers went totally sluggish on a small bit of wood. I got this out, but they wouldn't speed up. (the machine has been garaged for 7 months, and I didn't use it so much even when I thought I would, but it was working last summer when I took it out for a job)…..

There was a small leak from the hydraulic tank underneath which a mechanic said should be normal (the hole it was coming from he said is machine drilled and deliberately put there) as it's designed to take pressure of main system in case of other problems. After rollers got cleared up, the little drip stopped, and I greased the barings. But the rollers are still totally sluggish, rolling about 1/3 or 1/2 the speed they should, so I can neither use nor shift the machine until I fix this. It definitely isn't the hydraulic control as I tested this and it's working great, but mechanic said it is possibly hydraulic pump????

Any ideas on something simple I'm missing before it has to go in to "experts" and ends up costing me an arm and a leg? I'm trying to flog it and not run into huge repair costs!

thanks

yeah it's defo got enough hydraulic oil, the level was around 3/4 full, then mechanic I initially gave it to topped it right up last night - another mechanic I'd spoken to had said to make sure it's fully topped up, but it had no effect. Was thinking it could be hydraulic filter, but mechanic says he doesn't think it could be this (I can't remember now but I think this was changed when I got machine), so I'm thinking possibly take this off and drain then refill and hope for quick fix? If it isn't hydraulic fluid what could it in fact be - if theres a tick list before I get to the big expensive stuff? 

thanks for replies

10 minutes ago, ATC1983 said:

yeah it's defo got enough hydraulic oil, the level was around 3/4 full, then mechanic I initially gave it to topped it right up last night - another mechanic I'd spoken to had said to make sure it's fully topped up, but it had no effect. Was thinking it could be hydraulic filter, but mechanic says he doesn't think it could be this (I can't remember now but I think this was changed when I got machine), so I'm thinking possibly take this off and drain then refill and hope for quick fix? If it isn't hydraulic fluid what could it in fact be - if theres a tick list before I get to the big expensive stuff? 

thanks for replies

Speed adjuster control if it has one ( like a Jensen )  or the solenoid valve possibly ? 

2 hours ago, ATC1983 said:

no I checked the adjuster it's working grand.. where would selinoid be and how can it be checked?

On the Jensen its right next to the speed control . Dunno about on yours .

Edited by Stubby