Another TPO result for Poole BC

kevinjohnsonmbe

25 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

To be fair, he knew the crack when he built his house too close to trees that had been there for 100 years.

It's hardly a tiny plot is it?

He's an idiot.

Rare I’d disagree with you Mr B...

But....

I bet he’s no idiot, sharp as a tack I’d guess. - scrap man, he’ll have been duckin & diving all his life. 

• Like 1

Tbh Kev, I can understand blanket TPO’s on development sites, but I think they should be subject to review after development is complete.

It doesn’t look like those trees were particularly visible to anyone else apart from people with drones, and they were his trees. A point I think Mick was getting at earlier.

He’s still a knacker, mind.

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

This is what I often wonder about TPOs, how many people have to be able to enjoy seeing them before it becomes a public amenity in need of protection?

That takes us back to a thread from a fair way back which questioned the validity, appropriateness and measurement of 'public visual amenity' (which can often be interpreted as the blanket / catch all / easy option for refusal of TPO applications - who is this person that derives great pleasure from a tree that someone else has to pay to maintain?  I've had examples where a group of neighbours can be shown to be suffering tangible degradation (not just leaves in the gutter) of their freedom to enjoy their liberty and recreation but some elusive, unnamed, unmeasurable notional public visual amenity is presented as a justification for prolonged suffering of a quantifiable group.)

And it doesn't help (actually it does when apparent contradictions can be cited) when it seems that the rules can be 'bent' to satisfy the prevailing circumstances.

It's possible (if I've found the right thread) that the answer to your question lies in this thread:

I'm not absolutely certain it's the right thread I'm thinking of because it goes rapidly from the original question into 20 pages of pro and anti EU rantings (now there's a thing!! ) before Jules brings it back onto track at page 6.  It was quite funny re-reading some of the posts up to that point and comparing with current EU debate topics though! 

I'm not sure it's the thread I'm thinking of so I'll look again.  There was a really good thread about 'amenity worth', I'll see if I can find it....

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

That takes us back to a thread from a fair way back which questioned the validity, appropriateness and measurement of 'public visual amenity'

I was thinking more in terms of  how many neighbours overlooking the tree would be needed to make it a " public amenity" if it weren't very visible from a public highway.

...and if they didn't object to the tree being removed?