1 Tonne Trailers

David R Barras

3 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

On your licence, you can drive a vehicle which has a maximum plated weight of 3500kg, and tow a 750kg trailer.

OR 

You can tow a heavier trailer, IF, both the maximum plated weight of the trailer, AND the maximum plated weight of the car do not exceed 3500kg combined together. 

Your discovery has a maximum plated weight of 3500kg, therefore you can only tow 750kg.

Your discovery and trailer have combined maximum plated weights of 6100kg  (3500kg + 2600kg) Therefore, irrespective of the actual weights, your setup is illegal for your license.

Do you have the same rules in Sweden?

14 minutes ago, Justme said:

Do you have the same rules in Sweden?

If what i said is correct, then yes, EU after all.

Theres also an awesome online system, where you type in your car reg number, trailer reg number and what license you have and it'll tell you if its legal or not, and what load you can have in the trailer (if for example, you have BE licence, a car that can tow 2800kg, and trailer with a weight of 1000kg, MAM of 3500kg. it'll come up with a warning that you may only load 1800kg on the trailer.

Or in Rough hewn case, it'd just say no :lol: 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

If what i said is correct, then yes, EU after all.

Theres also an awesome online system, where you type in your car reg number, trailer reg number and what license you have and it'll tell you if its legal or not, and what load you can have in the trailer (if for example, you have BE licence, a car that can tow 2800kg, and trailer with a weight of 1000kg, MAM of 3500kg. it'll come up with a warning that you may only load 1800kg on the trailer.

Or in Rough hewn case, it'd just say no :lol: 

We don't yet have trailer registration unless you are taking a commercial trailer out of the UK.

I always ensure I load the sand in the Ifor Williams below the sides so it doesn’t look so heavy[emoji3]

Most nerve racking tow job I ever did was driving up from Poole to Elgin in a Defender towing a twin axle Ifor with an E class Mercedes on the back. To get it to tow half decently it needed moved further and further towards the tow hitch. I stopped three times and moved it before I was happy. The first time with the car too far back it got an horrific weave that actually lifted the rear wheels of the Defender off the road on the motorway. I Was convinced a tyre should have burst. Gave my wife, me, and a few following a bit of excitement. Although I believe I was within the permitted gross weight, I had to exceed the trailer nose weight for it to be safer. I got home after dark and the lights, even on dip, were bird spotting.

The other excitement on that trip was being followed by a traffic car for 10 miles. He must have got a shout for something more promising as he turned off at a service station. At the time for that warm trip I was also running the truck on 70 % vegetable oil to keep costs down, so the whiff of chip oil would have been noticeable. Maybe it put the cops in mind of a McDonalds. My wife has since said she’d have never lived it down if I had to argue the weight and fuel used being legal[emoji23]

• Like 1