1 Tonne Trailers

David R Barras

1 hour ago, Coletti said:
1 hour ago, Justme said:
If what your saying is true then people could drive vehicles plated to 7.5 tonnes as long as they are empty and weigh less than 3500kg.

Licences use the weight plate numbers from vehicle & trailer.

They do not use real weights.

Real weights are used for C&U offences like over loading.

This is what I do for a living & you are not legal.

Your trailer is using 2600kg of your 3500kg allowance.

Even when empty.

You car would have to be plated to 1400kg to be legal on a Cat B licence.

Read more  

Slight mistake there...The towing vehicle would have to be plated to a mam of 900kg to make it legal to tow over 750kg with a 2600kg mam trailer

Doh, yes your right teach me to post in a rush.

1 hour ago, Justme said:

If you ask the DVLA like this.

My car weighs 2000kg & my trailer 1500kg an I ok to tow on a cat B?

They will say yes.

If you ask.

My car weighs 2000kg but has a MAM of 2800kg & my trailer weighs 1500kg but has a MLPM of 2600kg can I tow it on a Cat B the answer will be no.

I would say that is pretty clear.

• Like 1

I was always astounded at the number of drivers, including most of the employees I supervised, who despite endless training and reminders, could neither find nor understand the vehicle "plate",

yet these same blokes would "spit blood",  that of course their Shogun was legal to tow 3500Kg "because it is a 4 wheel drive", even after I read their veh plate out to them explaining how they were only good for 2800Kg.

And a transit, no matter how light, was ALWAYS legal to tow any trailer with a 50mm ball hitch.

This might have been funnier if it had not been so frightening.

But then when the Transport Manager refused to buy useful dropside Iveco trucks fully legal to tow 3500Kg,

because,

and repeat after me "they are not 4 wheel drive", therefore they could not be safe or road legal,

BUT hey! what does Iveco know.

DOH!

Edited by difflock
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Wedgebanger said:

Is this correct info..  ?

http://www.uktow.com/legal.asp

Not completely.

This is wrong

provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle

And this bit

Whereas

1. the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle.

This bit is also wrong

A test pass for subcategory C1+E upgrades subcategory D1, if held, to D1+E. 

C1E does not upgrade D1 to D1E, It used too but not now.

Edited by Justme

11 minutes ago, difflock said:

I was always astounded at the number of drivers, including most of the employees I supervised, who despite endless training and reminders, could neither find nor understand the vehicle "plate",

yet these same blokes would "spit blood",  that of course their Shogun was legal to tow 3500Kg "because it is a 4 wheel drive", even after I read their veh plate out to them explaining how they were only good for 2800Kg.

And a transit, no matter how light, was ALWAYS legal to tow any trailer with a 50mm ball hitch.

This might have been funnier if it had not been so frightening.

But then when the Transport Manager refused to buy useful dropside Iveco trucks fully legal to tow 3500Kg,

because,

and repeat after me "they are not 4 wheel drive", therefore they could not be safe or road legal,

BUT hey! what does Iveco know.

DOH!

Lots of Transit can only tow 800kg lol

2 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Ok now I'm really confused.
emoji51.pngemoji51.pngemoji51.png

On your licence, you can drive a vehicle which has a maximum plated weight of 3500kg, and tow a 750kg trailer.

OR 

You can tow a heavier trailer, IF, both the maximum plated weight of the trailer, AND the maximum plated weight of the car do not exceed 3500kg combined together. 

Your discovery has a maximum plated weight of 3500kg, therefore you can only tow 750kg.

Your discovery and trailer have combined maximum plated weights of 6100kg  (3500kg + 2600kg) Therefore, irrespective of the actual weights, your setup is illegal for your license.

• Like 4