Best low budget 4WD tractor

Guest Gimlet

I run a Mf 3060, mainly with a 6 tonne timber trailer and all I can say is I can’t wait to upgrade to something that actually goes in 4th gear and doesn’t get over taken by cyclists. I think a tractors well worth the investment so spending a bit more that 6k would be a thought. You’d really want something that goes 50kph, it doesn’t sound like much but there’s a big difference between 40 and 50 on the roads

Guest Gimlet

25K isn't going to happen. 10K would take some creative accounting.

A lad up the road has had a 4WD Case for years which he uses every day with a fair amount of road work and he's a mechanical moron, so other people seem to find them.

Any particular makes that are better or worse than others - ie expensive for parts/servicing - or is it really just down to condition, service history and availability of local parts/service back up?

Edited by Gimlet

I run a k Reg zetor 7245 with a loader' think I paid about 4 for it 4 years ago but it needed clutch and brake cylinders and battery and tyres, all done for about 2 grand.

its a really good little heavy tractor that's easy to maintain and cheap parts in abundance but the brakes on zetors are shocking. As somebody mentioned earlier same's could be worth a look. For your budget I would say to stay away from electronic gear selection, electronic pto selection or electronic linkage control, basically if it's got wires forget it!

maybe case 895

2 hours ago, Martin du Preez said:

I run a Mf 3060, mainly with a 6 tonne timber trailer and all I can say is I can’t wait to upgrade to something that actually goes in 4th gear and doesn’t get over taken by cyclists. I think a tractors well worth the investment so spending a bit more that 6k would be a thought. You’d really want something that goes 50kph, it doesn’t sound like much but there’s a big difference between 40 and 50 on the roads

50k! Don't think I have anything that goes above 30k and that's including the landy!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

25K isn't going to happen. 10K would take some creative accounting.

A lad up the road has had a 4WD Case for years which he uses every day with a fair amount of road work and he's a mechanical moron, so other people seem to find them.

Any particular makes that are better or worse than others - ie expensive for parts/servicing - or is it really just down to condition, service history and availability of local parts/service back up?

The 25k was for me. Never suggested for you.

The guy with the case if he's a mechanical moron the thing could be a death trap.... track rod ends, axle pivots, king pins, brakes etc all can have play and be worn.

You will find something with in your budget but not sure of condition etc.

I would also say steer away from electrical things also....

I'd be looking for something mid 80's-90's 

Also if you want something with a loader on you should buy with a loader fitted allready! pita messing after and costly.

John deere can be dear on parts...

Some of the fords of that age the engine blocks went porous

You also need to decide on 4 pot non turbo? 4 pot turbo or 6 cyl

Guest Gimlet

15 grand seems to be a realistic budget.

Some nice New Hollands coming in at that price. Under 2000 hrs and less than 15 K looks a better equation. A 15K tractor that can get on and work immediately is better than a 7K one standing idles while having the same spent on it again:

https://www.agriaffaires.co.uk/advertisements/results/1.html?t=1554833568

2 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

15 grand seems to be a realistic budget.

Some nice New Hollands coming in at that price. Under 2000 hrs and less than 15 K looks a better equation. A 15K tractor that can get on and work immediately is better than a 7K one standing idles while having the same spent on it again:

https://www.agriaffaires.co.uk/advertisements/results/1.html?t=1554833568

Yes this is it. Im not trying to spend your money but its from experience where i've not pushed myself and bought something within my limited budget it kicked me up the arse.

Great to buy something right and jump on it and go to work

Guest Gimlet

Yes it did seem a bit too much of a bargain. Then again there's another further down with 2500 hrs on it. 

Either way, above 10K it looks like you're into machines with some decent life left in them. Famous last words....