Greenmech Quadchip 160

wicklamulla

@Jase hutch  @Pete B  and anyone else with knowledge.  I think there is an adjustment which i believe slows down or speeds up the infeed rollers depending on the size of the material being chipped but is there any adjustments that improve the ability to crush / break forked branches and make it more aggressive on dense conifer as it does struggle and i have to constantly reverse the feed rollers when the going gets a little tough? Would increasing the tension on the horizontal feed roller spring improve things?  The Machine is 1 year old with 150 hours on it.

Thanks for the help thus far.

• Like 1

Hi wicklamulla,  unfortunately there isn't the option to vary the feed roller speed , but if you haven't done so recently I would certainly check the tension on the feed roller spring. 

It should be adjusted so the spring just starts to stretch and no more.

I hope this helps.

Jase.

• Like 1

We have found that once the spring has "settled in" it can often do with a tweak up. Usually at about your hours. If you can put your hand on the spring and rattle it then its definitely to slack. As Jase says, tension just so it starts to stretch.

Edited by GA Groundcare
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have the same machine 350 hours. The spring is 10 months old and fully tensioned but I have a similar problem. Especially on conifer I’m forever reversing and forwarding and pushing through conifer. With apparently full spring tension the rollers look about 2” too far apart. The spring feels ok but not taught. Could it be that someone before me has put the wrong spring inside?

3 minutes ago, hesslemount said:

I have the same machine 350 hours. The spring is 10 months old and fully tensioned but I have a similar problem. Especially on conifer I’m forever reversing and forwarding and pushing through conifer. With apparently full spring tension the rollers look about 2” too far apart. The spring feels ok but not taught. Could it be that someone before me has put the wrong spring inside?

Maddening innit...

My 150P suffers from this.

At first I thought it was the spring so progressively wound it up until it would wind no more.

It isn't the spring, it is the roller carriage sticking in the rails when under tension, yet not when you loosen the spring off and move the carriage by hand, fecking weird.

I previously tried cleaning daily then twice daily, different lubes, wet and dry, changing a dry bearing, going full Basil Fawlty and beating it with a branch, sobbing with fury all to no avail, the rollers just turned impotently, failing to suck in mere sticks whilst still perfoming on larger material.

I've literally dozens of videos to documenting this.

Jase Hutch has a treatment, a rail bending bar but it isn't a long term cure as I found after 40 hours the roller started sticking again.

I eventually opted for a more permanent cure, horizontal rollers.

Stuart

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hesslemount said:

If you remove the moving feed roller carriage you can cut about 10mm out of the "chassis" by where the fixed roller is allowing the moving feed roller to close further. We have got them down to 5-10mm gap.

Measure five times cut once... Happy to take a photo if it helps.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have a 2017 quadchip that had a stuck fixed roller. It was over-greased at the top so that de roller was pressed against the bottom. I had to drop the roller down and clean it. If it happens again i may adjust the nylon bush at the top with a little groove so that there is a pressure relief for the grease. (although the drawing suggests that there should be a groove in it?)

You are correct that rollers can be 9ver greased leading to stiffness or squeaking. If it happens again, let the pressure out by undoing the nipple. Jase and I did discuss the merits of putting a nipple in that has had the spring and ball removed!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Syncroon said:

I have a 2017 quadchip that had a stuck fixed roller. It was over-greased at the top so that de roller was pressed against the bottom. I had to drop the roller down and clean it. If it happens again i may adjust the nylon bush at the top with a little groove so that there is a pressure relief for the grease. (although the drawing suggests that there should be a groove in it?)

The later bushes have grooves in them the allow the grease to escape. A couple of pumps of grease a month is usually plenty to lubricate that nylon bush.

• Like 1