Japanese Knotweed

peds

Question

Yeah I know, knot exactly a tree, but you guys are just so bloody clever I know you can help with this.

I've just inherited the use of a polytunnel which has lain dormant for a couple of years, and a nearby clump of Japanese Knotweed has started to poke through the ground in places. It's not too bad, but the problem will only get worse, obviously. I'll try and get a couple of photos tomorrow.

I've got plans to move the tunnel in the future, maybe next season, maybe the year after... but for this year, what can I do to minimise the problem? I'm wary of cutting the stems out, but I'd much rather keep the ground that I have available instead of putting in raised beds or benches after putting down sheets or slabs or something, as I hope to move the tunnel in the future. How much of an extra problem am I creating by just cutting the stems now and pretending they don't exist for the rest of the season?

Thanks for any advice dudes.

On 27/01/2020 at 09:28, Tristan Audren said:

Hi all.

This is an old post by now, but wondering if anyone has tried putting some goats where they have knotweed.

We bought a property that has some, net to the house.

Interestingly there is some massive bramble in the field surround the house, but the knot weed doesn't grow .

How did the goats get on with the knotweed?

Funnily enough, although there's lots of clumps around the countryside here it doesn't seem to spread as much as other places I've seen. Which is just as well as the council loves to spread it about.

On 21/11/2020 at 20:20, peds said:

I got a notification that this thread was bumped. I'll take this opportunity to say: stop using weedkillers (and, for that matter, all herbicides, pesticides, and industrial fertilisers). Cheers.

Why???? You can’t make a statement like that without at least a lame argument !! 

On 21/11/2020 at 20:20, peds said:

I got a notification that this thread was bumped. I'll take this opportunity to say: stop using weedkillers (and, for that matter, all herbicides, pesticides, and industrial fertilisers). Cheers.

..and plastics - gets stuck in whales gut . K

4 hours ago, Jimbo1982 said:

Why???? You can’t make a statement like that without at least a lame argument !! 

Because the planet absolutely cannot afford the environmental footprint of them, as will become increasingly clear over the next few decades, when huge-scale ecological collapse will bring about the deaths of hundreds of millions of people, followed by the death of billions more during widespread conflict and ongoing famine.

No argument from me I'm afraid, I don't see the point in it. Just be aware that the most common causes of death for anyone born past, say, 1980, will be starvation or suicide, and there isn't a whole lot that we as a species can do to change that at this stage.

Now, whether or not you using a bit of Roundup to treat that ivy stump or sprinkling a bit of NPK around your azaleas will save the planet isn't the question... but no one snowflake can be blamed for the avalanche, and we all have to decide what changes we can make in our lives. Not to change the future, because we are about 40 years too late for that, but for our own piece of mind, and to prepare for the world, if any, that awaits us.

Sorry to sound like such a downer.

• Like 2