Wanted 1/2 day hire machine and man for roundwood to firewood

Chris Hemming

6 hours ago, scbk said:

You have to remember there can be quite a time difference between cutting/splitting big logs for a boiler stove, and doing the old 'granny logs' (at best the size of a house brick)

I agree, but think that 3 tonnes is within the realms of possibility for most people. Hardly worth a firewood processor contractor going out to as well. Our logs are 50cm, so not huge.

I'll keep quiet now though, as I'm not exactly helping the OP in their search.

5 hours ago, Big J said:

I agree, but think that 3 tonnes is within the realms of possibility for most people. Hardly worth a firewood processor contractor going out to as well. Our logs are 50cm, so not huge.

Yes this is about what I use each year and use just an axe over a few days in the spring even though I have a small processor and cone splitter  rusting away somewhere, I don't think the neighbours would appreciate industrial activity in my garden.

• Like 1

I agree that a processor would be over kill, a chainsaw and a good splitting axe will do it in a morning if its in a decent working area. Although if its all on wet uneven ground and has poor access then getting someone in might be a good bet.

If not just look at the work as a temporary free gym membership !! Nothing more satisfying than having a brew and looking at all the logs you've got !

15 hours ago, Big J said:

I'll keep quiet now though, as I'm not exactly helping the OP in their search.

Mind you J is the brother similar in stature to yourself ?? . Physical capabilities and age play a big part in this kind of work. I've a 35T venom splitter that is  to be honest underused in as much it comes out 5-6 times a year for 2-3 days at a time for me and a couple of friends. Couple of guys working that  can go through a good amount of any kind of wood and still be ok the next day. On a similar thread I've often wondered if it would be worth hiring the machine itself out ?? Anyone any thoughts on that insurance wise and what day rate ??? 

Edited by Johnsond

8 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Mind you J is the brother similar in stature to yourself ?? . Physical capabilities and age play a big part in this kind of work. I've a 35T venom splitter that is  to be honest underused in as much it comes out 5-6 times a year for 2-3 days at a time for me and a couple of friends. Couple of guys working that  can go through a good amount of any kind of wood and still be ok the next day. On a similar thread I've often wondered if it would be worth hiring the machine itself out ?? Anyone any thoughts on that insurance wise and what day rate ??? 

He's a midget my brother, a mere 6ft 2". A lifelong gym goer, he's built like a tank though! ?

• Haha 1