And they wonder why the get ripped off

eggsarascal

I think if materials are involved with fencing, etc then taking deposits is fair enough but for Tree work I don’t see why anyone would take a deposit. You already have the kit to do the job. There are a couple of firms down errr that will take cash deposit. Wrong IMO .

• Like 1

done a job recently ..he told us he had his door knocked and asked if he needed any gardening work done...yes he replied ...borrowed tools from his garage to do work ...they then told him his house had damp ...ohhhh..can you sort it .....yes ..but it'll be 6k for the machine required......ok I'll get you the money ...never to be seen again......and he's a solicitor

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, essential said:

done a job recently ..he told us he had his door knocked and asked if he needed any gardening work done...yes he replied ...borrowed tools from his garage to do work ...they then told him his house had damp ...ohhhh..can you sort it .....yes ..but it'll be 6k for the machine required......ok I'll get you the money ...never to be seen again......and he's a solicitor

That makes a change, a solicitor having his trousers down :thumbup1:

• Like 5

12 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Are some people so daft that they will hand someone a hand full of cash when the only contact details they have for that person is a mobile phone number?, well yes.

Did a job on Thursday, new pump required. I rang my supplier and got a price over the phone, gave the couple the price to do the job, the first thing she says is do you want the money now so that you can go and get the pump?, I could have taken the money and drove off never to be seen again. Some folk amaze me.

I'd guess statistically speaking most people are honest..   including workmen..  so no surprise someone puts trust in a workman going about his business...   

The only reason I refuse to take cash upfront is it kills the job when you've already been paid..  mind you that doesn't include paying for parts..   

IMO, if you are running a business properly, you should have a business account with a float of capital in it, that you dig into for the costs of a job - be that labour, fuel for tree work, or perhaps materials for fencing, and then when you are paid at the end of the job, the expenditure is made good plus the profit [emoji3]
Appreciate some huge jobs might involve more outlay than what the contractor has available, but even then there are credit cards etc.

• Like 3