And they wonder why the get ripped off

eggsarascal

Are some people so daft that they will hand someone a hand full of cash when the only contact details they have for that person is a mobile phone number?, well yes.

Did a job on Thursday, new pump required. I rang my supplier and got a price over the phone, gave the couple the price to do the job, the first thing she says is do you want the money now so that you can go and get the pump?, I could have taken the money and drove off never to be seen again. Some folk amaze me.

• Like 2

had that this week as well £500 before i'd even said when I would do the job ........ very little materials involved

refused as I just don't work that way !

don't know if this compares to your pump cost but i actually find that i'm frightened for them as money seems to me to be easily handed over !

but as already said gives me a good feeling that people trust me even though I refuse the cash 

4 minutes ago, Cheesy pete said:

had that this week as well £500 before i'd even said when I would do the job ........ very little materials involved

refused as I just don't work that way !

don't know if this compares to your pump cost but i actually find that i'm frightened for them as money seems to me to be easily handed over !

but as already said gives me a good feeling that people trust me even though I refuse the cash 

I get a good discount on these pumps, 30% off list, so I make money on the pump. The whole job including labour was £620. She was more than happy to go and get the money for me!

I want my money when the job is completed and the customer is happy, not beforehand. I've got plenty of repeat customers that are not home when I call to do a service so technically I could turn up and do nothing and still get paid by bank transfer the same evening but it's not my style. Thinking about it I've got two customers who have their servicing done at the same time, one of them pays the bill for both jobs, he pays me when he books me. I've been going to him for about 9 years though.

• Like 2

Had this plenty of times with the old dears. We never take a penny until the job is completed.

I always insist on credit card and pin number upfront mind, you never know how much the job is going to be until the end.

Its sad to know that unfortunately these people will get turned over sooner or later when they invite the wrong contractor in. I hope that over the years I have managed to educate a few of them into not parting with their hard earned until they are happy with the job, I hope.

• Like 2

I always ask 25% of the quote upon booking then the day the work starts I want 50% of the remaining balance upfront and the final 50% once completed and customer is satisfied ? I've been screwed over by a few folk so I always cover my own back now and I always get everything in black and white no verbal agreements there is a lot of good people out there on both parties but there is also bad aswell 

Jack 

I used to help a mate who did tv aerials and it was always the older customers (of which I am now one :D) who had the money out when you got there and tea and biscuits ready to hand. He fitted an aerial system to a local moguls house, he had his own landing strip and Cessna plane and had to be taken to court to get enough money to cover what it cost to do the job. You do get a feel for the lie of the land eventually so get to trust some people.

11 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Are some people so daft that they will hand someone a hand full of cash when the only contact details they have for that person is a mobile phone number?, well yes.

Would you believe that people will send chainsaws to someone they have only had a mobile number or email from and then expect to get them back, serviced and ported....unbelievable;)

The old folk are from a different generation, they leave their doors open and believe that everyone is trustworthy.

I have had customers wanting to include cash with their saw for repair in part payment, not how I work, payment is due before shipping and it is only the local & well known customers that get a bit of slack on that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1