Stihl HS 82 (or 81) V Husqy 522 HDR 75x

bggc

Has anyone owned both of these hedge trimmers and are able to offer a comparable review?

I’ve ran HS 81’s and now 82’s for a years but when one plays up, it seems nobody can solve the issues, certainly not my local Stihl dealer anyway.

The reason for my post is I’d like to know more about any known issues with the Husqy trimmers before i make the jump.

Thanks in advance?

I've not used the husky model stated but I did buy a similar one while back which I wasn't very impressed with I used it for about ten minutes then got rid of it .it didn't seem as powerful or well built as Stihl and I couldn't be bothered keeping it .I do have both the 81 and 82 which are good machines but i find them bit heavy where possible I willl use the 45 or the cordless Stihl which I believe Is the  best power to weigh ratio trimmer currently on the market and will run for about 2-3hrs with ap300 battery but they can't be used in the rain which is the only downside .

On 07/04/2019 at 09:31, spudulike said:

Most of my local guys run HS81/82s...they seem pretty good, what is wrong with the dodgy one? Seems that the fault is with the dealer and not the machine!

Couldn’t agree more, that’s my suspicion anyway as it’s not the first and only machine. The mechanical problem I’v had is that they struggle to start, when they do, as soon as you blip the trigger there’s no movement from the blades. This is followed by them cutting out and then over a dozen attempts to get them to fire again, then the same thing happens, they run but won’t move, the engine tone goes down as you press the throttle aswell almost as though it’s labouring against a thick stem. Prior to this our only short term fix during a job to get us going was putting the choke in a mid position, the trimmers very slowly ramped up but in the end that stopped working, even then the engine tone was slower than our other working pair, I suspect too much fuel going in.

I asked what the fault diagnosis was and they said the exhaust muffler being crapped up was the main problem, plus they ‘part’ tuned the carb. They came back, fired first time, worked great for the following two or three jobs now they’ve gone back to exactly the same fault. We have already cleaned the air filter, changed the fuel filter and checked the plug gap. 

On 07/04/2019 at 09:31, spudulike said:

Most of my local guys run HS81/82s...they seem pretty good, what is wrong with the dodgy one? Seems that the fault is with the dealer and not the machine!

We used to have little trouble with the Stihls but there was an issue if someone fiddled with the HI setting in that IIRC (and it was a while ago and memory is getting a bit unreliable) there was an ignition rev limiter. If it was tuned rich the limiter still cut in but with the throttle wide open unburned petroil carried through to the exhaust so that oil condensed in the exhaust.

A similar problem frequently occurred with the BT45 drill which had a spark arrestor and if this was used wide open throttle between holes  the gauze blocked almost completely.

Not a problem that happened with a sensible operator but a weekly problem with utility or rail arbs, easily solved by unbolting the spark arrestor and burning oil off with a blow torch. I always put them back in as they cut the noise but I know others cut the gauze off.

Could be lack of grease in the gearbox or the blades being a bit tight causing the issue. The muffler is a possibility as is fuel/carb issues. Difficult to tell without inspection with this description.

Sounds like it just needs a good logical going over by someone who knows what they are doing!