Stiga Outfront mowers

Powerfab

On 13/04/2019 at 16:34, Burgess said:

The stiga is great on hills

stiga.jpg

Can you run it up and down the slope or would you always be going cross slope. 

My worst bank is about similar to this and looks just as wet for most of the year. Certainly a "+" for the Stiga. 

What model is that?

On 04/04/2019 at 22:37, Powerfab said:

After wearing out several ride-ons and getting fed up with lifting and disposing of grass, I'm in the market for a Stiga Park outfront. I've a dealer near me with Stiga lawn tractors on demo, but nothing in the out front range. He would supply any to order, but no plans to demo an out front this year. So I'm a bit lost with respect to the best model to go for. I've just under 1 acre to mow, all on gradient with several steepish banks. 

I think my only criteria is the 125cm deck and 4WD. No idea if the diesel is any good. In the petrol I've always been a fan of Honda engines but others seem to suggest the Vanguard is better. 

I've read that the Park Pro is a more robust model but can't seem to find any definitive information about what makes them better than the standard model.

Anyone any experience on these and which model may be best. Any thoughts gratefully received.

I had a grounds maintenance contract for 3 years where we used a pair of Stiga Park Pro 4wd's. There were excellent in practically every way. Fast travel when mowing unless grass very long (our contract was fortnightly mowing), very fast between mowing areas(the Countax was a snail by comparison when going from one zone to another). Manoeverability was brilliant, petrol consumption was fine. Considering there are a domestic spec machine they withstood commercial use surprisingly well.

The only real problem was the belt linking the two front blades, as this had to be a toothed belt so the blades were always in phase with each other. No problem on my own lawn, or on the better maintained parts of our contract. On areas with long grass I got fed up with residents leaving their dogs' sticks and stones in the grass - you couldn't see it until too late and the belt would snap. Took me about 20 minutes to change a belt once used to it, always carried spares with me. Belts were 315-20 a piece if I remember correctly.

If we did the same work again I would certainly use the Stigas again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/04/2019 at 18:12, maybelateron said:

I had a grounds maintenance contract for 3 years where we used a pair of Stiga Park Pro 4wd's. There were excellent in practically every way. Fast travel when mowing unless grass very long (our contract was fortnightly mowing), very fast between mowing areas(the Countax was a snail by comparison when going from one zone to another). Manoeverability was brilliant, petrol consumption was fine. Considering there are a domestic spec machine they withstood commercial use surprisingly well.

The only real problem was the belt linking the two front blades, as this had to be a toothed belt so the blades were always in phase with each other. No problem on my own lawn, or on the better maintained parts of our contract. On areas with long grass I got fed up with residents leaving their dogs' sticks and stones in the grass - you couldn't see it until too late and the belt would snap. Took me about 20 minutes to change a belt once used to it, always carried spares with me. Belts were 315-20 a piece if I remember correctly.

If we did the same work again I would certainly use the Stigas again.

Useful information. I had a Countax in the past, whilst I loved the striped finish they were not the most reliable yoke. Seemed to be constantly replacing bearings and the sweeper shaft had to be rebuilt several times. Final straw was having to put a new Tufftorq hydro transaxle into it, sold soon after. It was a thirsty beast as well. Kholer 25hp twin, sucked petrol like gin. 

I think Stiga have gone away from the timed toothed belts and only use standard "V" belts now, certainly there's none on the three blade combi decks. 

• 4 years later...