Emissions, Global warming or a scam

Echo

54 minutes ago, Big J said:

You are of course wrong.

Much like the weather forecast, it's much easier to predict what will happen. The exact timescale is trickier to pin down. The effects of climate change are self-evident and abundantly obvious. To deny it puts you on a level with flat earthers.

How much good is chopping trees down doing the planet?.............

1 minute ago, Richard 1234 said:

How much good is chopping trees down doing the planet?.............

Part of a sustainable, carbon-neutral industry supporting thousands of local jobs. If you want locally sourced firewood, biofuel, timber for planking, construction and fencing, there has to be local forestry. And as part of that process, someone needs thin and harvest the trees at the appropriate stages.

But I suspect you already know that and are playing devil's advocate in order to get a rise out of me ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Big J said:

Part of a sustainable, carbon-neutral industry supporting thousands of local jobs. If you want locally sourced firewood, biofuel, timber for planking, construction and fencing, there has to be local forestry. And as part of that process, someone needs thin and harvest the trees at the appropriate stages.

But I suspect you already know that and are playing devil's advocate in order to get a rise out of me ?

Sort of. It falls down when trees aren’t replaced.

if they are not replaced they are not carbon neutral.

i don’t believe for a minute that all trees harvested are replaced 

do you replace each tree you cut down? Genuine question 

16 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

Sort of. It falls down when trees aren’t replaced.

if they are not replaced they are not carbon neutral.

i don’t believe for a minute that all trees harvested are replaced 

do you replace each tree you cut down? Genuine question 

I do not, no. All trees felled in a forestry setting are subject to felling licences approved by the Forestry Commission. All felling ops that I do are either thinning or clearfell. If thinning, replacement is not required as you're felling to favour the better trees, improve the crop and increase the volume of standing trees on site (crowded trees don't grow well). If clearfelling, replanting is almost always required. We have two large clearfells later this year, both of which will be replanted with more trees than are felled.

1 minute ago, Big J said:

I do not, no. All trees felled in a forestry setting are subject to felling licences approved by the Forestry Commission. All felling ops that I do are either thinning or clearfell. If thinning, replacement is not required as you're felling to favour the better trees, improve the crop and increase the volume of standing trees on site (crowded trees don't grow well). If clearfelling, replanting is almost always required. We have two large clearfells later this year, both of which will be replanted with more trees than are felled.

It may be carbon neutral if the are replaced, but what about the CO2 you produce to process them? Fuel, machinery - which produces CO2 when the metal for it is mined, smelted, fabricated, transported. What about the money you make from your trade? What do you spend it on? Do you donate all of your profit it to a tree planting charity? Fact is, everyone we do to improve our lives generates CO2 or "carbon"... I just don't believe the hype anymore, so I not bothered, but I feel badly for the folks that do believe and feel guilty about it. Freedom is a wonderful thing, if you're free to enjoy it without guilt. 

2 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

It may be carbon neutral if the are replaced, but what about the CO2 you produce to process them? Fuel, machinery - which produces CO2 when the metal for it is mined, smelted, fabricated, transported. What about the money you make from your trade? What do you spend it on? Do you donate all of your profit it to a tree planting charity? Fact is, everyone we do to improve our lives generates CO2 or "carbon"... I just don't believe the hype anymore, so I not bothered, but I feel badly for the folks that do believe and feel guilty about it. Freedom is a wonderful thing, if you're free to enjoy it without guilt. 

Carbon neutrality is practically impossible, and I don't aspire to it. Nevertheless, it's imperative that we all make an effort. 

I have heavy machinery, I used diesel and consumables, but I feel that my profession is more carbon neutral than most. 

What you call freedom, most would classify as willful ignorance. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Big J said:

Carbon neutrality is practically impossible, and I don't aspire to it. Nevertheless, it's imperative that we all make an effort. 

I have heavy machinery, I used diesel and consumables, but I feel that my profession is more carbon neutral than most. 

What you call freedom, most would classify as willful ignorance. 

Willful ignorence is when we choose to ignore evidence that is available to us, when we are trying to descern the truth of a matter. There is irrifutable evidence on the skeptic side that the models were quite wrong, data deliberately fudged and ignored, ice core samples that refute CO2 driving warming etc etc. I made an effort to actually look at the evidence from the "wrong side" of the issue. Further research convinced me that the elements on the "warmist" side were and are being dishonest, in order to further a political agenda.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1