Emissions, Global warming or a scam

Echo

I like schools, hospitals, roads, public transport etc etc...Do you want them all to be private?

Yes.

If you like them, you’d pay for them voluntarily and they’d be cheaper because you wouldn’t be paying for state administration of the same workers etc.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Yes.

If you like them, you’d pay for them voluntarily and they’d be cheaper because you wouldn’t be paying for state administration of the same workers etc.

Who would decide how much say schooling costs? What if you wete a low earner and the cost was above what you could afford?

2 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Yes.

But then we'd be separating the nation into very distinct class systems, where the rich could afford better education, health care etc. while the less well off would be left to struggle. Hardly seems reasonable?

Anyway it's off topic. As said I think that carbon taxes etc. can only do so much before government have to start pushing for pretty major change.

From manufacturing, as Echo said, right through to recycling. We're doing it all wrong right now. We need fewer phones/clothes/cars being built, sold, driven. Better, cleaner public transport. Better infrastructure in towns to allow people to cycle safely. And that's still just the tip of the iceberg. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

But then we'd be separating the nation into very distinct class systems, where the rich could afford better education, health care etc. while the less well off would be left to struggle. Hardly seems reasonable?

Isn't that the situation we have now? If you've got the money you send your kids to a posh school, if you are ill you pay to go private for your Heath care. 

5 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Isn't that the situation we have now? If you've got the money you send your kids to a posh school, if you are ill you pay to go private for your Heath care. 

Hmm, yes... but the baseline right now is pretty good. I went to the doctor this morning as I hurt my thumb yesterday, was x-rayed, confirmed fracture, splinted and out of there within the hour. Though admittedly the services you get vary from region to region, and still more in specific areas.

I guess I just feel it'd be a whole lot less fair if you just got what you paid for? 

Edited by Mr. Squirrel

3 hours ago, Woodworks said:

No, it has not stopped us burning it completely but we have cut back dramatically. To suggest that something is pointless as it's not 100% successful seems daft. Governments have to raise taxes one way or another so why not have it something that is polluting? 

Seems daft to me to let Governments rip us off, and under the guise it is for our own good.

And good on you if you can cut back, not many people I know can do so because they are already scrimping along.

Just reading some of the posts, climate control has nothing to do with the education or health system, they have been funded all along, this carbon tax is supposed to help the climate, not hospitals or schools, so why bring them into it.

The whole approach to climate change needs to be more widespread, old ways need to change, old technology that is not efficient needs to be replaced and made affordable for all. 

There is already progress regarding transport, electric cars, hybrid cars etc, the money they collect on carbon tax should be given to people when they purchase such a vehicle, same with people who put in solar and wind, the carbon tax would make a change by feeding it into such projects.

But it has to be fair, there needs to be a fair tax that every one can contribute to, for example there is no point in giving a car manufacturer the carbon tax, it helps them make more money,

while the very people who paid that tax would loose out.

Edited by Echo

Here is another problem with the current system, lots of commercial wind farms went up, 

and so did the price of electricity, why, because the big boys in the game for decades were loosing out, wind mills were producing and being paid for doing so, and the old establishment were selling less units, so they upped the price.

Government stood by and let private companies gain too much control ever the necessities of life, like water and electric, these items should be supplied at not much more than cost to people, and the small amount of profit left over would be there to pay for other things, like hospitals and schools, its all about money, and that is the real problem.