Dead leaning tree advice...

Hank

Personally I would cut low, I would rather any funny business with breaking hinges, splitting or snapping trigger straps is nearer my feet than my face.

I will also say that Dogstooth cut doesn't guarantee success, as it requires you to judge how much dead (maybe slightly decayed) timber it takes to hold the tree up and if you don't quite leave enough it will suddenly go with a bang.

Having tried to give advice/opinion, I think you should definitely be aware there is a massive amount of tension in that timber which is prone to split (ash) and weakened since it's dead. If it snaps off or splits upwards it is liable to turn lethal very quickly, that is why people are suggesting to get someone in. Climbing and piecing it down could be safer, difficult to tell from photos.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, drinksloe said:

Really without a winch that tree will only fall 1 way hard to tell from photo if that way is clear and away from pen 

11 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I will also say that Dogstooth cut doesn't guarantee success, as it requires you to judge how much dead (maybe slightly decayed) timber it takes to hold the tree up and if you don't quite leave enough it will suddenly go with a bang.

considering both above points - here is a set of photos showing someone using a combination of chains (I don't have logging chains, so would use a several wraps on a 5 ton endless ratchet strap) and the cut he calls the T cut, is like box hinge or Coos Bay. Personally I don't think the snipe is doing anything much. So he cut the sides about a third diameter parallel with expected lay, and then cut the back until it came away. You can see how far he got with the back cut before it went.

v65agk.jpg.1f83f3e605551c8ec3b41dafc6852862.jpg6jjcs3.jpg.8201daf76885e4b3ce333c0971c68734.jpg2ypddo1.jpg.55bf486a6337fd3726751ba9a8ab182e.jpg2vta25f.jpg.7748346e117bdd09adc1ba7fcaa7d30b.jpg

of course this method just flops the leaning tree, so not a good option if it will severely damage retained trees. If the heartwood is badly decayed the box hinge/ Coos Bay type cuts would not work. Whichever cut, seeing as the tree is going anyway a test bore with a long drill would give an idea about what holding wood there is

Edited by tree-fancier123
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, nepia said:

Has anyone suggested to the keeper that he move the pen if he's that bothered about what superficially appears to be a healthy tree?  

Oh hang on - it's not that healthy is it.   Sorry - should have gone to Specsavers  ?

As above then; whoever deals with it needs to have decent knowledge.

looks like its cracked down this side?

The dog tooth is a good idea, but that's not an example to follow imo. Dodgy backcut and they've basically just winched it over.

The OP's tree has a whole lot more going on, lean angle, twist, rot/dysfunction.

Ideally there'll be some machinery available, chain/strap to reduce the barber's chair risk, minimal cuts and pull it over with no one in the drop zone/near it. If the pens get flattened they should have opened their wallets and got a climber to block it down, rather than asking someone to risk their neck.

I've dynamited a couple of trees that were too risky to get near for long (full of manic bees), but it's probably frowned upon in the UK??

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BishBashBosh said:

The dog tooth is a good idea, but that's not an example to follow imo. Dodgy backcut and they've basically just winched it over.

The OP's tree has a whole lot more going on, lean angle, twist, rot/dysfunction.

Ideally there'll be some machinery available, chain/strap to reduce the barber's chair risk, minimal cuts and pull it over with no one in the drop zone/near it. If the pens get flattened they should have opened their wallets and got a climber to block it down, rather than asking someone to risk their neck.

I've dynamited a couple of trees that were too risky to get near for long (full of manic bees), but it's probably frowned upon in the UK??

You don't have to " flatten the pen ". Just remove the wire mesh from between the posts , coil it back , pick up any " pop holes "  that might be in the way and just fell it the way it wants to go .  Use any kind of felling cut you think appropriate . Soft Dutchman  , dog tooth , letter box or whatever .  . Leave some of the brash in the pen . birds will love that . Anyway you got till next July / August to make any repairs to the pen . You wont get your poults till then .

• Like 1