Dead leaning tree advice...

Hank

8 minutes ago, Cheesy pete said:

is the second stem alive? if it is it's pretty easy

It is yeah.

Thanks for all the replies, appreciate it. The landowner isn't going to pay to get anyone in unfortunately and the tree is coming down regardless (I'd rather do away with the pens and leave the woods alone but that's another matter), so I figure better I do it with what experience I have rather than someone with no experience at all.

A dog tooth is what I was planning with the aim of bringing it down just to the right of the tree in the last photo...

Just now, tree-fancier123 said:

Soz, not knocking your can do attitude. What about a ratchet strap round it as a bit of insurance? 

That's a good idea. 

I guess what I was asking in a roundabout way was whether I was right in thinking it'd be safer to cut from a few feet up where it straightens out, or whether to go from the base. Going from the base where it's twisted and bends makes it a bit more unpredictable imo, hence wanting someone else's thoughts!!

26 minutes ago, el barto said:

It is yeah.

Thanks for all the replies, appreciate it. The landowner isn't going to pay to get anyone in unfortunately and the tree is coming down regardless (I'd rather do away with the pens and leave the woods alone but that's another matter), so I figure better I do it with what experience I have rather than someone with no experience at all.

A dog tooth is what I was planning with the aim of bringing it down just to the right of the tree in the last photo...

the client being tight is never a reason to put oneself in unnecessary danger!!

( cant see the  photos of the tree, but worth bearing in mind  

• Like 1

Probably the best advice given is leave alone if not confident, up to landowner/shoot to get someone in that can do the job safely.

A lot could easily go wrong with a tree like that esp when surrounded by so many others. Hang it up u could have real problems.

The ratchet strap is good advice, ur idea about putting cut in higher is also good, but guessing from photo might be too high so cutting at a dangerous hieght 

Really without a winch that tree will only fall 1 way hard to tell from photo if that way is clear and away from pen 

Must admit I'd tell the keeper to leave it  more hassle than it's worth the chances off it falling down in the 2 weeks birds are actually in the pen is very slim

Edited by drinksloe
  • Like 1