Beech saw log wanted

Johnsond

Might be worth speaking to Harold Taylor. Top chap and was my regular haulier when I was in Scotland. His yard is in Forfar, but he lives in Insch and covers a lot of Scotland. Has a strong crane with a 4t lift on it, so could sort you out with some big lumps. I can PM you his number. 

Have to ask why you'd want beech? Never found a demand for it.

Edited by Big J

42 minutes ago, Big J said:

Might be worth speaking to Harold Taylor. Top chap and was my regular haulier when I was in Scotland. His yard is in Forfar, but he lives in Insch and covers a lot of Scotland. Has a strong crane with a 4t lift on it, so could sort you out with some big lumps. I can PM you his number. 

Have to ask why you'd want beech? Never found a demand for it.

Cheers J very helpfull considering you are an ardent europhile remainer ??

Insch is half an hour from me so yeah I'd appreciate getting  his number. Looking to make a decent butchers table J and a couple of large chopping blocks. There was tons of it around when the Aberdeen bypass route was being cleared but it seems not so much at moment. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Cheers J very helpfull considering you are an ardent europhile remainer ??

Insch is half an hour from me so yeah I'd appreciate getting  his number. Looking to make a decent butchers table J and a couple of large chopping blocks. There was tons of it around when the Aberdeen bypass route was being cleared but it seems not so much at moment. 

Message sent :D

6 minutes ago, Yorkshire Brummie said:

Hi J,

How come there is little demand for beech? Does it not mill well?
Sorry if it’s a daft question. I know little about milling.

Cheers

I

Out of flavour and most think dated now.... 

Most of mine goes firewood or biomass unfortunately 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Yorkshire Brummie said:

Hi J,

How come there is little demand for beech? Does it not mill well?
Sorry if it’s a daft question. I know little about milling.

Cheers

I

Like swinny says, just not in fashion. 

If you've a large batch of clean, white beech then there is potential for selling for large scale furniture production (where uniformity is valued) but there is no craft market for it except for folk like Steve (7thdevil) who turn skittles and other such things.

For the last few years with my sawmill, I made the policy never to pay for beech. I didn't have a shortage of oversized lumps from domestic sites where I just paid for haulage.

• Like 1