Sub contractor but also team leader

David Dobedoe

Let's assume they are a bona fide subby where does everyone stand?

Depends if one bona-fide is hiring the other? Or are they both being hired in by someone in the background.
I’d of said who ever provides the initial job instruction / who pays the wages will hold the cards on liabilities.

The subby is asked to look at and price a job. He does the job when he can schedule it in. He gets paid on whatever terms they have discussed.

I'm not talking about a 'subby' who just comes in on a daily basis and gets paid on a day rate,  ie they should be an employee.

18 hours ago, Tree Surgeon Insurance said:

Well its hard to be exact without really discussing this fully but if you are being 'told' you are in charge by somebody you clearly aren't-they are giving the orders. 

"The employer" is the duty-holder and, as far as I am aware / understand, it is they who should hold the 'EMPLOYERS Liability' insurance (which is a legal requirement under the EL (Compulsary Insurance) Act 1969.

I really don't see how this could be transferred to a LOSC, i.e. free-lance climber acting as a Team Leader.

Cheers,

Paul

48 minutes ago, Tree Surgeon Insurance said:

What does the bona fide subby do and how do they get paid? 

As a matter of interest, well to me anyway :D, within 'Approved Contractor Scheme' we make EL insurance a mandatory / conditional requirement regardless of 'how' an employer engages their staff. That way it safeguards both parties...and yes, the AA.

44 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

The subby is asked to look at and price a job. He does the job when he can schedule it in. He gets paid on whatever terms they have discussed.

I'm not talking about a 'subby' who just comes in on a daily basis and gets paid on a day rate,  ie they should be an employee.

This is one that depends on a lot of factors. The term subby normally denotes a labour only subby, who would be deemed to be an employee. The payment on whatever terms they have discussed is open. A bona fide sub contractor, as a rule will do the job for a fixed price (profit and reward) and bring his own staff in to assist.  I use the term as a 'rule' because every case is different.  We have also seen jobs passed down the line to what to me are clearly defined business's which I would put def in the bona fide group, then something goes wrong. The in come the solicitors letters stating they were labour only etc  etc.

I’m pretty sure an insurance company would happily take my money to insure my unicorn.
The fact that I actually don’t have a unicorn wouldn’t bother them that much.

Is your unicorn bone-fide though mark ?[emoji6]
  • Haha 1

A bona fide subcontractor would definitely need all of their own insurance, full stop. If you are confused as to whether you are bona fide (or are employing someone in such a capacity) then you need to get your stall set out properly and remove any ambiguity.

If you are a labour only subby you don’t need any insurance.