Sub contractor but also team leader

David Dobedoe

6 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

ha, I wonder if the people employing subbie climbers are going to be happy with an extra £40+ on their day rate to pay for their own employers liability

? employers liability is peanuts..... 40.00 a day extra ? youd be on more profit from that then climbing ? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Link to this legislation please?

Preferably from a legal/government source, rather than an insurance company.

You and I have got more chance of flying to the moon than David or any insurance company providing a link.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I’m pretty sure an insurance company would happily take my money to insure my unicorn.

The fact that I actually don’t have a unicorn wouldn’t bother them that much.

Does that come under pet insurance?

Be careful, insuring a non existent unicorn may just be insurance fraud.. best get a donkey and stick a strap on to its head just in case they come looking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, swinny said:

? employers liability is peanuts..... 40.00 a day extra ? youd be on more profit from that then climbing ? 

Is it? Last time I had it I was paying

around 3k per year, that was in a pretty low turnover and only employing one member of staff at a time 

2 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Is it not " The buck stops here"?

Simon from Tree Surgeon Insurance willl need to explain how the law stands.

He'll struggle, considering he doesn't understand the question.

Any insurance company will gladly take your money on pretty much any scenario, but like mark suggested earlier, would they stand by you if it came to ehh lads ehh! If working alone for yourself you should really have EL regardless. Working alone for someone else, i.e being the subbie, you should really still have your own EL as you have advertised as a lone/self employed worker for them to hire you in the first place, but the liabilities would then be and stay with them as you are doing the works for them.