Husqvarna 550 Mk 2 or older MS 261-CM

Echo

I've always used Husky saws, started out on a 254 and now run all of the autotuned saws, in fairness I prefer the autotuned machines - no fiddling about tuning the saw trying to get the best from it whilst risking running them too lean. Another massive plus for me with the husky saws is the two year warranty support, lad I worked with was mega rough with his kit, revved the tits off his saw all the time - blew a saw up at about 18months old - he got a replacement saw.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Plodalong said:

I've always used Husky saws, started out on a 254 and now run all of the autotuned saws, in fairness I prefer the autotuned machines - no fiddling about tuning the saw trying to get the best from it whilst risking running them too lean. Another massive plus for me with the husky saws is the two year warranty support, lad I worked with was mega rough with his kit, revved the tits off his saw all the time - blew a saw up at about 18months old - he got a replacement saw.

Thanks Plodalong

I am in no hurry, just gathering info on what is what, I had two Husqvarna saws, one cheapie that was traded asap, and a nice 372, now that was a fine saw. I wish I could depend on the local dealer for that kind of support, but even that 372 I ordered, they sent it out with a 13 inch bar, I had the saw paid for, and they completely refused to put a longer bar on the saw, there is no way would any one buy a 372 and be thrown a 13 inch bar, thats what am up against, I know well that no matter what I would go back with they would blame the fuel, and I would be screwed, buy somewhere else, that means no local support, and as murphys law would have it, the saw you buy online or withing driving distance will be the one that needs the dealer support, as far as I know its only a One year warranty too, and it depends on having the saw serviced, I read this on the Husky site some time back, there are dealers and there are dealers, anyone who has local support can count themselves lucky, here, they have no interest after your money is in their hand, selling fancy lawn mowers quads and that kind of thing is what they are into, a saw is just a pain to them.

4 hours ago, wyk said:

On the Dolmars, most of them the cat can be removed simply by undoing three bolts.

I wish it was that easy, I would not hesitate if I had local support, for when the muffler is modded a good man to tune the saw is hard to find, taking mufflers apart will not help if a warranty claim is inevitable, I understand there is a serious reason that a dealer will not alter your muffler, that would make him liable to prosecution for breaching these epa laws, so its not as straight forward as it could be, personally I would modify the muffler if the saw was out of warranty, but if something goes wrong in the meantime, then the dealer may not want to help, and I understand this, different if you know someone, and have a feel for how they treat their stuff, but thats not likely to happen on the net. 

14 hours ago, Echo said:

I was thinking about the makita, but its got a cat, after seeing one in the cs 352, I can't stand the idea of, keep things too hot, and over time they clog up.

That's the opposite of what CATs do, they get hot to burn the stuff that usually gets thrown out into atmosphere. The problem was with the heat melting the brake lever due to bad design on some saws. Are you just a natural pessimist or have you really had so much trouble with different makes that you can't make a decision which to buy ? Your Echo with altitude problems had me laughing out loud it would have to be retuned if you went up a hill round here or climbed a tall tree :D

A cat also acts a a heat sink, red hot, sitting right in the doorway between the cylinder piston combo and the muffler, it radiates heat back, yes we know it is suppose to neutralize some pollutants, but it will be difficult to keep it clean in a two stroke. Am just stating in my above post how difficult it is to buy on-line, then open a muffler to remove a cat, and expect the warranty to be honored, and that if a dealer took out the cat, he might well be happy with this and sending out the saw to a customer, charge for it yes, that way he would know no one else was tampering, but then, the law could step in, and it's simply not worth it for the dealer, catch 22 situation, thats not being pessimistic, thats dealing with the facts., sure I would trust a dealer to remove a cat tune and send me a makita, but where will I find one to do this, and what happens with warranty, thats why I decided on giving an AT or MS a go, and was hoping to hear peoples thoughts on them, nothing pessimistic about the local dealers not having the up to date Stihl that has a good record by all accounts, nothing pessimistic about Stihl not allowing saws to be posted out to customers.

Edited by Echo

On 02/04/2019 at 18:37, The avantgardener said:

The new 550 mk2 is a completely different saw from the mk1.

The reviews I have heard from users is that is performs more like a 560 than 550, new air filter derived from the 572 and cools quicker, better AT also, I have one in order, should be with me next week so will let you know what I make if it.

Damn you with your smooth words! I’ve got two 550s on the critical list atm. Bought them in 2013 so no complaints, now I may have to get a Mark 2.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Echo said:

he would know no one else was tampering, but then, the law could step in, and it's simply not worth it for the dealer,

There is no law saying chainsaws have to have a cat fitted or that it is illegal to remove it, unless you are in California I would stop worrying, buy a spare exhaust and get it decatted then if it fails put your original back on and send it back. Stop procrastinating or you will never buy a saw.

• Like 2

Echo, I followed with a passing interest your questions etc on another forum under the user name Greenerpastures. You say you are in the nth part of RoI ? I know and have been in to the dealer you are referring to and I found them to be good and straight forward to deal with. It is a fact that here in R of I the two main players are at the mercy of the importers and where Husqvarna Ire are helpful and willing to do the job for the customer the Stihl importer have so many high value other parts i.e Makita, Bosch, Knipex etc the saw part is quite small and as a result "we" do not always get the full range so to blame the dealer is not correct ! 

I have to go along with a couple of other posters and conclude you are always looking for a "problem" ? To suggest that your present saw is so sensitive is at best fanciful !

I have been running AT saws since they came out and apart from the well known early problems find  them good and reliable.  As a guy that makes my living from a saw any problems were all covered by Husqvarna with no problems.  The 2 year cover from Husqvarna is as it says … 

I'm sure you will have a raft of rebuttal to post but do please check your facts !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1