Splitting kindling

Guest Gimlet

1 minute ago, Johnsond said:

I remember using something like that with my father as a kid to make up bags of kindling to sell alongside the coal on the round we had. Only training I got was to be told don't put your fingers on the top ??

IMG_0878.PNG

Which one is you ? ?

Guest Gimlet
3 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Technically it is a retort as the difference is a kiln has the fire inside the char container and the retort has the fire outside

Ta. Reading through that I think I'm going to start with a traditional ring kiln. I haven't enough material to justify any investing above and beyond a ring at this stage. I understand the principles and process but I'm inclined to over-think things at the best of times and there's an awful lot of scope for that in this enterprise. I need to get my hands dirty on the basics first. 

I'm going to make a 5' ring kiln and get a feel for it. 

Edited by Gimlet

49 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

I'm going to start with a traditional ring kiln.

Okay but be aware that because of the way they dilute the offgas with PICs, steam and CO2 they become impossible to flare until close to the end of burn, hence they put quite a few nasties into the atmosphere. From a climate forcing point the methane is a magnitude worse than CO2 for the relative short time it exists in the atmosphere.

Guest Gimlet

I have. There's some proper mental Russian and eastern European wood chopping contraptions out there. How anyone east of Bratislava has any fingers left is a mystery.