Mini stump grinders.

lux

I’m considering a mini stump grinder. A lot of the time the usual grinder is overkill and either means lost space on the back of a van or towing an extra trailer to site.

There are numerous small grinders that are an easy two man lift and fold down so I could pop in in the back of my hilux. They all look similar so are probably the same machine sold by different retailers. Lumag etc. Usually 6/7 Hp ish.

Anyone got one or used one? Are they worth adding to the line up or just a bit naff in use ?

Thanks in advance

I bought a DR Power 9hp years ago , paid for itself within a couple of months. Biggest stump I did was a chestnut just under 1 metre, took me near enough 5 hours as it was full of stones. It's been sat in my garage for a few years, used it over 2 years ago as I couldn't get my SC30TX up  nasty set of steps. Did the job but nearly sodding killed me! Bounced all over the shop, but, it got the job done.

Access is quite key. At present I use nothing smaller than a 27 hp danequip which in some heavily landscaped gardens is just cumbersome. Not impossible but just awkward and often overkill. If the mini grinders are reasonable I’d buy one to make life easier but if they are just no good then I’d stay status quo.

4 minutes ago, lux said:

Access is quite key. At present I use nothing smaller than a 27 hp danequip which in some heavily landscaped gardens is just cumbersome. Not impossible but just awkward and often overkill. If the mini grinders are reasonable I’d buy one to make life easier but if they are just no good then I’d stay status quo.

I've no idea how big it is

I have a stump at my brother's to do and it looks like the hire cost will be £100+VAT so a machine like this could have a quick payback

That’s the idea. Cheap n cheerful that do those little jobs without the need for the big grinder. Some people have put better cutting wheels to accept green teeth etc which looks a good idea as the standard teeth look naff.

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

I've no idea how big it is

I have a stump at my brother's to do and it looks like the hire cost will be £100+VAT so a machine like this could have a quick payback

Thats the same machine as mine that I mentioned earlier.  its about 13hp so a bit bigger than first mentioned but if that's the sort of size you're after then I'd recommend it. Being cheep and cheerful you do have to do a bit of tightening up and adjusting but its worth it.