extracting 150 cube plus hardwoods

3 hours ago, jmac said:

Nice wee retirement fund that!

I doubt it, the 1124 needs new brakes and that will mean machining the trumpet housings, and slew ram seals replaced plus possible one new slew cylinder.The younger 1164 has been vandalised and will need tinwork and glass replaced but I would like to sell that. The 1164 with FMV 290 also has lost glass and the trailer needs brakes but I have a job for that.

Aa didn't give a thought to splitting tractor ! Would have to discuss that with someone and may be look at some bracing. That may make it too expensive for the odd job. Id3a was to make an inexpensive solution that wouldn't break the bank if sat in the yard for months on end. 

Also hoped it would save my lower back getting sore from the pole catching and punching the butt plate repeatedly. And getting a jarring bump from the s3at back on l9ng skids. 

Thanks for that as might of saved me a big whoopsie. Further thought required.

4 hours ago, Svts said:

Interesting thread. I have recently been toying with the idea of building an American style trailed arch to put behind the winch tractor for these sort of jobs. As the main issue i find is not picking up the butt plate but keeping the tractors front end on the ground. My hope was that suspending the butt this way would take the strain of the rear axle. And allow for four driving wheels planted on the floor ? Does this sound feasible to you chaps ?

It helps , but with wheeled machines not as much as you would hope.I had a small one built years ago for skidding large conifer to keep them cleaner, I only had a smallish skidder at the time. The front end still lifted at times, and because I was dragging an extra set of wheels through mud it made things heavier going . Tbh I was a bit disappointed with it.

Behind cats, which they were really designed for they were a great idea. 

Have you got your front wheels ballasted, that makes a big difference?

4 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I doubt it, the 1124 needs new brakes and that will mean machining the trumpet housings, and slew ram seals replaced plus possible one new slew cylinder.The younger 1164 has been vandalised and will need tinwork and glass replaced but I would like to sell that. The 1164 with FMV 290 also has lost glass and the trailer needs brakes but I have a job for that.

What do you see the value of them as ?

4 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Bearing in mind my experience is with older kit: I never tried a log arch but often took all the bolsters off the trailer and  lifted the tip onto the trailer, winched in and travelled if it was a long skid.

Yes keeping the front wheels down and contributing was always a problem, I had a heavy dozer blade which I could strap 1/2tonne log to. I would also carry a hefty piece in the grapple at full extension.[1]

You need to be a bit wary though as a chap near Oxford did this with an 1174 without the tension bars from the front guard to the roof mounting, the stress bust the tractor in half at the bell housing.

[1] I always wanted to mount the winches at the front and carry the cables back in tubes to a lightweight buttplate, it would have reduced overall weight by 600kg and increased payload  but it was too much for me.

With the MF 1200 this was less of a problem as there was far more weight forward, driving through two diffs also meant far more tractive effort was available.

Did you ever do work at Box hill with the 1200 ?

2 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Not really thought about it but more than £5G for the agric spec one.

Keep an eye on Cheffins prices at Cambridge. I could see it making that.

3 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Yes

I brought a lot of beech and Yew tree off there in around 90/91 and there was a 1200 working at the top of the lane where we went in. Think it was the old gallops alongside the block we were in. Perhaps that was you ?

Thanks for replies Openspaceman and ESS.

No ballasting in front tyres but a fair old rack of weights hanging off the front. I would rather avoid the water ballasting as I have a roofmount with it  and i find it's a bit bouncy on the road.  

3 hours ago, Svts said:

Thanks for replies Openspaceman and ESS.

No ballasting in front tyres but a fair old rack of weights hanging off the front. I would rather avoid the water ballasting as I have a roofmount with it  and i find it's a bit bouncy on the road.  

what tractor and loader have you?