3/8 chain 550 Mark 2

eddystihl

Well you have a 50-50 choice of large or small spline rim so when you get the Mark 2 it will take but a few moments to find out which one....you could just buy both and be prepared !!

The frequent mentions of “Mark 2” is starting to scare the shit out of me! [emoji33]

43 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Out of interest what are the pros and cons of using the larger 3/8  chain on a small saw? 

Our ported 346xp won't bog down with a 15" bar on 325 - 3/8 it would in hardwood.

3/8 quicker crosscutting on certain softwoods.

3/8 more expensive.

3/8 wide kerf = lost timber as sawdust.

Way more vibration with 3/8 and too aggressive off ground for precision work.

3/8 a must if your a softwood cutter on piecemeal. ?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Out of interest what are the pros and cons of using the larger 3/8  chain on a small saw? 

You'll need a saw with the chuff to pull it. Like sumfin maybe some mad American ported.

The benefits are longer lasting between sharpenings, more resistance to rocking, longer lasting chain reels. The bad is it's heavier, larger kerf, and people who use 3/8LoPro on a 60cc saw will turn their noses on the forums.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wyk said:

You'll need a saw with the chuff to pull it. Like sumfin maybe some mad American ported.

The benefits are longer lasting between sharpenings, more resistance to rocking, longer lasting chain reels. The bad is it's heavier, larger kerf, and people who use 3/8LoPro on a 60cc saw will turn their noses on the forums.

So why less sharpening? Presumably, the quality of 0.325 and 3/8 are the same so what makes them last longer?

Just now, Woodworks said:

So why less sharpening? Presumably, the quality of 0.325 and 3/8 are the same so what makes them last longer?

The more metal ya have, the more cutting it can do before it starts to stop. Sort of like 3/8 VS 404, 404 VS 1/2 VS 3/4 etc etc. Also, you'll never throw a 3/8 standard chain on a 50cc saw. Whereas I have had my ported 241 tear two 3/8LoPro chains in half so far. I run standard 325 on it most the time, tho.

6 minutes ago, wyk said:

The more metal ya have, the more cutting it can do before it starts to stop.

Sorry to continue the derail but I still don't get why more metal keeps its edge longer. The leading edge of the cutter is the same on 3/8 just wider. I get there is more metal supporting it but don't get how this helps an edge last for longer. Do they take more wood off per cut so actually make fewer passes per inch of woodcut? My first saw that pulls a 3/8 is a 460 which does last a fair time between sharpens but I just put down to the fact it has the grunt to drag a slightly dull.

Not doubting that 3/8 works just trying to understand why.