Why did this happen?

Woodworks

8 hours ago, spudulike said:

Not really my thing but it looks like the chain has been jumping over the rim. The fella that said he reckoned the chain had be tensioned with the chain riding on the very edge of the rim is the most likely explanation and it would have dropped back in to the centre of the rim but be well under tension then it slipped round the rim.

Fit a new rim and chain then see how it goes. 

I hear what you saying as I know on occasion when changing my chains on my saws the chain can get caught up on the rim when putting it back together. The difference on the processor is the sprocket sits out in open space so the chain would fall off or drop into the groove.

25 minutes ago, ESS said:

Not familiar with processor bars/chains , but.. has it run a chain that has had rakers lower at one side? that would kick the chain over.

It would but you would feel it immediately as unlike when using a saw when you can to some extent compensate for this but the processor bar has no leeway so would jam if trying to cut a curve and does. You have to be very particular with the rakers on the processor for just this reason. 

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going with the ware on the top of the fillet setting it off and then once it started tracking off it becomes self-perpetuating. As spud say I will fit a new rim and see how it goes. Might need a new fillet though

8 minutes ago, ESS said:

Ok, fair enough, as I say I am not familiar ,only used processors with circs.

Out of interest what is the fillet, is` it a rubbing plate or backing plate of some description ?

Yes, it's how Farmi made it that their processor could use a regular bar and then the fillet/spacer makes the bar deeper to allow for the large drive sprocket that's needed. They now make a deeper all in one bar for the machine but I don't get on with it as it's a touch thicker and tends to jam on twisty wood.

2 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Just 0.325  Makes for less waste and less work for the operator as on these small machines which are mandraulic haha

Oh, that surprises me, would have thought 3/8s as a minimum.

I had a Japa many years ago, bought it new and was glad to see the back of it. Seemed to spend as much time changing belts as we did cutting.

1 minute ago, ESS said:

Oh, that surprises me, would have thought 3/8s as a minimum.

I had a Japa many years ago, bought it new and was glad to see the back of it. Seemed to spend as much time changing belts as we did cutting.

Direct drive off a hydraulic motor on the Farmi so no problem with belts. 

1 minute ago, Woodworks said:

Direct drive off a hydraulic motor on the Farmi so no problem with belts. 

Far better idea.

I thought the Japa was far too light in construction for what was expected of it.

Hope you get it sorted , sounds like the fillet would be a good investment.

31 minutes ago, ESS said:

Far better idea.

I thought the Japa was far too light in construction for what was expected of it.

Hope you get it sorted , sounds like the fillet would be a good investment.

The Farmi is probably not much heavier the Japa but its strong where it needs to be. Can easily damage it with careless use. Not being too heavy suits me as mine is a road-tow one and I do contract work with it. On more than half my jobs you end up manhandling it into some nook or cranny.