Dream of starting my own business achievable?

TreetopAO

Hi All, 

Last time i posted here (under a since closed account), I was a total newby looking for someone to take me on as a trainee. Worked my way from groundy, to climber, whilst studying a level 4 before taking a job at a local highway authority. 2 years later moved to my current position as a planning focused Arb officer. 

I love the job, its a great platform to further develop myself professionally, however does bring its challenges! Council politics, high planning demand, and my biggest challenge - managing a contractor with a dedicated arb team, who are dedicated to winding me up...but that's a rant for another day. 

I want to future proof myself, and start up my own business in my free time. Iv studied the local market, and believe consultancy is the way forward. Big question....How?!  

How does one set up a consultancy company? PI insurance, Kit, how to work out what to charge, finding clients, just about everything apart from the job itself i'm unsure of! 

Can anyone offer some words of advice?? 

Most appreciated, 

You're working as a Local Authority Tree Officer and you want to start your own arb consultancy business in your local area in your spare time.

What does your contract of employment say about doing other work. You also need to think about the conflicts of interest that will arise. How can you do a BS5837 survey, AIA, AMS for a developer in your consultant role, and then consider the implications of that development on the trees in your Tree Officer role.

You will almost certainly have to leave your current post to become a consultant.

A local council up here offers private consultancy, something I’ve always considered a bit open to suspicion.

53 minutes ago, EdwardC said:

You will almost certainly have to leave your current post to become a consultant.

No you won't... You might have to declare any conflict of interest if your working on your patch but if your working out of borough that would not be an issue... Private consultants do the TO role in lots of councils..

You just need some PI insurance and clients.. The main issue I see with being a 1 man band private consultant is getting in the work as a steady work load, IME it can be patchy and clients always need it doing yesterday..  As a tree firm we have a established business and spend £1000s a year advertising but don't get anywhere enough to keep a full time consultant. I guess you might if you got a load or regular clients and were more targeted with your advertising..

1 hour ago, EdwardC said:

Including me Ben. But that's different to being an LA tree officer who does consulting in their spare time..

Fair enough....  I can't see working outside of your council would be an issue but I guess if your contract states you can't then you should discuss with employer.

Thanks all for your feedback. My main concern is conflict of interest. My predecessor set up their own business and ran simultaneously, but in another district... This may be the only way around it. What type of consultancy? I'm yet to decide, from my AO role I'm involved in some fairly large and exciting projects ranging from heritage sites, to restoration of Manor houses, eco towns etc. Most likely 5837 surveys, residential then larger clients hopefully. Local opportunity? I'd fear my own tree company would be out of the question, way too many small teams and 2/3 large teams in a 10 mile radius. Really looking for the basics.... How do you set a company up?!

Really appreciate the responses.